Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Honeygirl01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 09:57 AM
    What are your legal rights as a live in house keeper?
    If you are not happy in your current position as a live in housekeeper without a contract, in California what are your rights? If they wanted to fire me, what are my rights if I have been here for 3 years, would I have to move within 30 days or when they fire me?
    Honeygirl01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 09:58 AM
    What are the rights of a live in housekeeper in California?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Hello H:

As an employee, you have little.. As a tenant, you have plenty. Yes, you'd have to move AFTER he gave you a 30 WRITTEN notice..

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 19, 2012, 11:35 AM
    And it's 60 days in California under certain circumstances.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 19, 2012, 03:17 PM
    In California if you've been living there for over one year then they have to give you 60 days written notice before they can file a lawsuit for eviction.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
    I disagree. You are not a tenant but an employee. You do not have the protections of a tenant even if you are a live-in. You are entitled to 3 weeks notice after 3 years and one week for each additional year. Your employer can offer you cash in lieu of notice.

A lot depends on the reason for terminating you.

http://www.wcdwa.ca/PDFs/employment_...caregivers.pdf
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2012, 11:55 PM
    Scott is correct, if fired, you would soon lose your place to stay also.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 20, 2012, 05:05 AM
    I spent quite a while trying to find an answer to this in CA civil code and can't find one. ScottGem, your link is to a Canadian site for British Columbia.

Oct 20, 2012, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I spent quite a while trying to find an answer to this in CA civil code and can't find one. ScottGem, your link is to a Canadian site for British Columbia.

Whoops, I just saw West Coast. However, I think the law would be similar. The point is the OP is not a tenant but an employee. I think Labor law will supercede landlord/tenant law here.

Oct 20, 2012, 05:40 AM
    This site may be more helpful:

CA Bill of Rights

However, it indicates that the rights of domestic workers in CA are few and far between.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 20, 2012, 09:39 AM
    This article by a California attorney says that it depends on whether the courts view the person as an employee or tenant.

To Evict A Caretaker, What Notices, If Any, Do You Need To Serve? Law Offices of Kenny Tan Attorneys Diamond Bar California

Oct 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    This article by a California attorney says that it depends on whether the courts view the person as an employee or tenant.

To Evict A Caretaker, What Notices, If Any, Do You Need To Serve? Law Offices of Kenny Tan Attorneys Diamond Bar California
    Which is exactly what I have been saying. The article seems to refer to an ambiguity between a caretaker and a domestic. And I would agree. There may be some question between a family member taking care of an elder and a domestic employee.

The OP clearly seems to be an employee and not a tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boy falls in love with his house keeper [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a movie where a boy falls in love with his house keeper while his father is away on a business trip. But the house keeper or maid has a plan hatched with the chauffeur then the housekeeper dies while having sex with the son. The chauffeur comes in sees the body and tries to hide...

Salary of live in house keeper [ 12 Answers ]

What is a typical cost I have to pay a live in housekeeper {moved from Forum Help-<>}

Foreclosure on house I live in key west Florida what are my rights as a tenant [ 3 Answers ]

I live in key west Florida irecently receive a notice in the mail stating July 31 2007 there will be an auction forclosing the property I live in. so do I have any right to remain in the house . The proerties aren't selling well in key west right now I'm assuming the bank will buy it then try and...

View more questions Search