Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cantbreath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Sewage smell thru-out the house.
    My basement is open to the rest of the house so any smell makes it's way upstairs. It's a 3 bedroom + one bed downstairs and has had 4-5 people living in it. I don't know what size the septic tank is but I just found a chart that for the largest size tank, it is due to be cleaned out. We've been here about 6 yrs. + 1 month. (New house.) For the past week the whole house smells like sewage. I can't figure out where exactly it's coming from. We have 2 sump pumps but the washer is upstairs so they don't run. We covered the 'vent' holes with plastic cups to keep the ping pong balls out of them. I couple months ago we had a problem of urine smell and I discovered my young teen was being too lazy to come upstairs to use the restroom and was using a cup and pouring it into the sump pump hole. Never again! I poured about a half gal. of vinegar and let it set for about an hour and ran a hose to it and ran both pumps a few times. With a window open, the air got better. This smell is definitely different however when I lifted the cups, I can still smell some urine odor. (So I ran the pumps again.) (I didn't put the vinegar that time, though.) Is it possible that this is caused because I need to get the septic tank cleaned out? The drains smell fine. And the water goes down the drains fine. Can it come through the walls? Help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2012, 08:32 AM
    We covered the 'vent' holes with plastic cups to keep the ping pong balls out of them.
    You're going to hafta explain that one, Your vent pips exit the roof. What are you doing with ping-pong balls up on your roof? Do you have a floor drain in the basement?
    I discovered my young teen was being too lazy to come upstairs to use the restroom and was using a cup and pouring it into the sump pump hole
    Have you considered that your lazy offspring might be craping down there and hiding it?
    The solution would be to paper train and housebreak your son. Good luck with that! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell throughout house [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a house last year which is around 35 years old. The house had been vacant for 1 year before we moved in. We didn't notice the smell at first but after a few weeks we noticed a sewage smell in the basement where there is a fairly substantial manhole cover (inside the house!) Over the...

Sewage smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

I and my family are Louisiana Hurricane Gustav victim for now 2 years. We are living in a D-HAP rented condo/apartment. Due to health problem to include allergic reaction and asthma (breathing difficulty) to mold; we just rented this place, July 5, 2010; attempting to aviod indoor mold problems. I...

Sewage smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting a sewage smell throughout my home. I have a septic system, and recently from the clean out have replaced the piping, new 1000 gal holding tank and drainage, however there is no leach field. I just have a drain pipe emptying the tank. I also have vents on the side of the house but they...

Sewage Smell All Over the House [ 3 Answers ]

I have read all of the forums posted on this subject, but none seem to relate to my exact problem. My dad and I built this house in 2002. The plumber we hired was very good. My plumbing is all in the concrete slab. However, I am getting a sewage smell throughout the house with no obvious...

View more questions Search