Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Acquaman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Thinking
    Does wire have to be in holes drilled through floor joist in basement or can they just be stapled?( Unfinished basement dirt floor)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2012, 02:42 AM
    If cables need to run perpendicular to the joists, they need to be attached to running boards, not directly to the joists.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2012, 06:31 AM
    Running cables through holes will give u more height if u ever want to finish off basement.

tk=what is purpose for running board? Doing this will make u lower ceiling height by at lest another 1 1/4 inches when putting up ceiling.

Chuck
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2012, 01:00 PM

Comes from, for example, Romex cable, 2008 edition of the NEC:

334.15 Exposed Work. In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).

(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces.
    Where cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running boards.

See photo for an example of Romex cable stapled to running boards.
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
    Tk

Thanks for come back. Even at my age try to learn something everyday.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is my ex girlfriend thinking? Could she be thinking about me and what we've lost [ 12 Answers ]

So here's the deal, a little more than a year ago I met this girl. Our chemistry was so fricken intense. We started seeing each other, things felt awesome when we were together. If I were to imagine my perfect love, it would be her. We loved the same music (which is underground and hard to find),...

What's she thinking? [ 15 Answers ]

So it's been about a month since my breakup with my girlfriend and we're on friendly terms now. We talk and are cordial with each other but don't go out of our way to hang out together, or at least I don't. We have a lot of mutual friends so therefore we still hang out once a week or so. I still...

What's he thinking? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend of three months sends me extravagant flower arrangements, brings me odd little gifts (cds and dried fruit?), and plans to see me basically every weekend. He even came to see me when I was really sick and didn't want him to come. He says he loves me. But he also is still going out with...

View more questions Search