Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jazzabeal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 06:42 PM
    God given Gifts?
    Hi!
    I go to Christian City Church Oxford Falls in Sydney and a guest speaker called Theo Wolmarans came to our Church this week. God moves powerfully through him in the gift of healing. I have seen some amazing things God has done through this man. My question is why can't we all have such a gift? I do realize that every one of us is different but it does say in the Bible if we step out in faith and say to the mountain “move” and it move. Is having a gift like healing or prophesy a trust thing with God? Like money, God will always provide for you but will give in abundance if he knows he can trust you with it. Is it the same with a powerful gift?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 08:13 PM
    The following says it much better than I can. Taken from the Spirit Home website:

"We may wish to have certain gifts and even ask for them (1 Corinthians 12:31 : "But eagerly desire the greater gifts"; Romans 1:10-12, where Paul says he prays for the Roman congregation to have gifts, and in part to use them to build up Paul himself once he arrived). But if it is not the will of the Holy Spirit, we will not get what we ask for. When we pray for gifts, we ask, not demand, and we accept what gifts we are or aren't given as being what the Holy Spirit wants for us.

The Holy Spirit is free to give and to take the gift back and to give it again; the Spirit is in full authority over the gift itself. The Holy Spirit may come upon us to give healing to someone at a certain time. Then the gift may be gone. If we're working with the Spirit, the gift may come often, or be present at all times. Sometimes we're afraid and don't step forward, but that will stop the gift from helping anyone. The Spirit does not seize control to make sure we use the gift; we're given responsibility for its use. There are many ministers who are given the gift of speaking or teaching or pastoral care, but they spend their time on trips or meetings or on being a CEO instead. They make bad choices that hold back their gifts, hampering what the Spirit is trying to do with their lives.

Your gift may not be what you think or hope it is. There are strong signs saying 'NO' that some people just blow right past. You may want to be an evangelist, but lose your bearings when you don't see any results in a short time. You may try to be a pastor, but other peoples' problems leave you a blubbering mess. You may want to be a counselor, but you find yourself constantly trying to be a fix-it. You may want to be a theologian, but you let doubts or agendas rule you instead of God. If that's happening, your gifts probably aren't what you think they are, and you need to get intense with God to find out what they really are. "

For the rest of this text please see the following: Gifts of the Holy Spirit : why gifts are given

Another resource is from Rev. Raymond Lull, on the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit - http://lullianarts.net/7gifts.htm
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 08:50 PM
    And God gives you only those gifts you are prepared to use and those that are good for you.

And we know that special gifts are given to each, and that we all don't have the same gifts. ( from bible)

Now that does not mean we can't all do various things in faith, but in true gifts, those are given to us as God desires
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Mar 10, 2007, 10:20 PM
    The apostle Paul told the Corinthians that the Holy Spirit would manifest Himself among them in special gifts, of which speaking in tongues was only one: "Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware....To one is give the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the distinguishing of spirit, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues" (I Corinthians 12:1,8-10)

The gifts or manifestations of the Holy Spirit have to do with the work or ministry of Christ. These come on suddenly whereas the fruits of the Spirit (love, joy,peace, patience,etc.)are the nature of Christ and are gradual.
    We can ask for any gift. We can ask Jesus for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. You can also get Baptized in the Holy Spirit by a Priest or Pastor. Pentecostal Christians believe the gifts of the H.S. are alive & working in the Church today.
    I suggest you see CBN.com. They explain the different gifts meanings in an organized way. I have 2 old cassettes & 1 new dvd on the power of the Holy Spirit. It'll awaken your Spirit to God's glory- Your faith will mature by reading about these gifts. Because then you will be able to test your own, or even recognise your own because you obtained them once or twice.
    I am thankful I have or had each gift except miracles. The Lord gives as he so determines, but we can ask also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New apartment gifts [ 2 Answers ]

What is an appropriate gift to give a young couple that has just moved into their first apartment.

Costs of gifts? [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't been to a wedding in a very long time. Now asked to two weddings, and a wedding reception celebrating a Vegas wedding all in Mar. & April. I am a new business owner and low on any fun funds. What kind of prices is the smallest without seeming cheap or insulting? All of these people are...

No gifts at wedding [ 2 Answers ]

How do I nicely write no gifts but money or gift cards because this is both of our second marriage and we have lived together for three years:confused:

Accepting expensive gifts [ 8 Answers ]

I am hesitating whether to accept exensive gifts such as diamond jewellery from a one year old boyfriend even though I like him. I am only 17 and he is 20. Is it okay ? Will there be any implication of this on our friendship. Please advise me whether to accept it, In case advice is to return it...

Wedding Gifts [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been invited to a wedding. Our nephew is marrying a girl from a very wealthy family. While visiting with a cousin, someone mentioned that it is proper wedding ettiquette to give a wedding gift that matches the price per plate at a wedding reception. The cost per plate at...

View more questions Search