Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OmniLogic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2012, 06:39 PM
    3TB Hard Drive takes 10 minutes to load XP
    I recently added a 3TB HD to a 4-pentium desktop computer running XP because the MB indicated it will support 3TB. I installed the same HD recommeded in the MBO manual. And yes I formatted the HD. However, it takes 10 plus minutes for windows to start up after the upgrade. I checked the ram, then researched the options with RAM, which only increases speeds after windows set up. I repartitioned the HD and resintalled XP to mo avail. What to do? Any suggestions? I'm all ears!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 06:50 PM
    Is this an actual 4 pentium MB or did you mean to say a pentium 4 ?

What you might do is repartion the drive to a smaller segment. Also what drivers are you using with this drive? (SATA or something else)
    viveutvivas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
    Some tips:
    Windows partition (c: typically) maximal advised 100 GB
    Other partitions (d etc) size does not matter but try to avoid more then 1TB (1024GB).
    Windows XP 32 bits does not fully support those size`s even though your Mainboard might support it.
    RAM size advised of 1GB (1024MB)
    Also make a fresh install clear the whole hdd, make and partition for your core files of 100 GB and partition the remaining size of the hdd when windows xp runs.
    Use windowskey+r type diskmgmt.msc to create a extended disk and logical partitions.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Oct 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
    I believe that not only do you need a motherboard that supports larger than 2TB but an OS designed for it too. That means Vista and above (it might be Win7 and above). If you want to use it as a secondary storage drive just split the partition into 2 volumes using your old drive for the OS. Using it as the boot drive I would split it 1tb and 2tb with the 1 being System OS. Then you should be able to use XP. I have several 2TB externals and a few 1 to 1.5 internals that are recognized fine. Just don't format the drives as fat32 Duh!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What difficulties are there in changing from a 80MB hard drive to a 500 MB hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have an HP Pavilion 700 series that had some hard drive issues lately. It came with an 80 MB drive but I have recently replaced it with a 500 MB hard drive. I will need to reinstall the operating system with a recovery disk. Should I expect any more difficulties in getting my PC up and running...

Kenmore elite front load takes a long time to go through the 2nd load [ 0 Answers ]

My kenmore elite front load goes through the various cycles with the 1st load fine but it takes a very long time (hours) to go through the 2nd load with the same settings as the 1st.

Compaq laptop Hard Drive won't load windows xp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Compaq 3015us laptop that's acting up. Upon start up the compaq splash screen comes up as it should then then the computer runs bios and the next screen asks which boot device I would like to use, Hard Drive (C), CD Rom (D) or Floopy Drive (A), and its never done that before. The...

Dryer heating, but takes 120 minutes for average load [ 11 Answers ]

We replaced the heating element and that is not the problem. Good airflow coming out back of dryer,vent hose and lint traps are clear, and coils heating up. Help! What else could be the problem?

Windows takes 40 minutes to load. [ 13 Answers ]

For about the past month, I've had problems with Windows loading. At first, it was random and now it seems like it is happening more frequently. I'm at the point where I don't want to turn my computer off for fear of it never loading again. What happens is after it goes into "standbye" or when...

View more questions Search