Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    objayson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2012, 07:05 AM
    What should I do about my girlfriends interaction with her ex husband/sons father?
    I may have made a mistake by reading a message received on my girlfriends phone, but I have been suspicious/anxious about how much she talks with her ex even though they have a child together.

I have a kid from a past relationship as well but it is nowhere near as involved as hers. Well the message said I love you, so I proceeded to check the rest of her messages, sent and received. They were a lot of I love you's from both of them and messages that led me to believe that they spend time with each other when I am at work. Messages that start from the moment she wakes up and lasting almost all day, conversations as if they were still together. I know shouldn't have done what I did, but it proves my suspicions correct.

Honestly I feel hurt but also relieved knowing that the problems that we've had in our relationship stem from this and not my doing. Please, just some others thoughts and advice/opinions. What should I do??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Glad you can give her all the blame, Hope it makes you feel better, so what do you plan on doing.

When there are issues, normally it is not just one persons fault, there are often things in a relationship that cause issues and leads to more.

The question is now, where do you go from here.
    Sam66 Posts: 36, Reputation: 6

Oct 6, 2012, 08:40 AM
    If I were in this situation with my boyfriend texting his ex that he loved her, I would absolutely hit the roof. I would dump him in a second. That is a very emotional, honest response but probably not good advice, haha. It's up to you. Firstly you should tell her you saw the messages and see what she has to say. I wouldn't really need to hear what my boyfriend had to say, but hear her out and then make your decision.

And Fr_Chuck makes a good point. Her texting her ex may have stemmed from the problems in your relationship, not the other way round.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2012, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by objayson View Post
    I may have made a mistake by reading a message on my received on my girlfriends phone, but i have been suspicious/ anxious about how much she talks with her ex even though they have a child together. I have a kid from a passed relationship as well but it is nowhere near as involved as hers. well the message said i love you, so I proceeded to check the rest of her messages, sent and received. They was a lot of I love yous from both of them and messages that led me to believe that they spend time with each other when i am a t work, messages that start from the moment she wakes up and lasting almost all day, conversations as if they were still together. I know shouldn't have done what i did, but proves my suspicions correct. Honestly i feel hurt but also relieved knowing that the problems that we've had in our relationship stem from this and not my doing. Please, just some others thoughts and advice/opinions. What should i do???

I'm an investigator and I work on matrimonial situations. I advise people not to snoop unless they are prepared to deal with whatever they find. I don't think you were/are prepared.

I think a screaming conversation goes nowhere. The more you paint her into a corner the more she'll lie to get out of the corner.

I'd tell her that you snooped, that you know she's in contact, that you are hurt, what does SHE want to do. She may want to leave. She may want to stay.

I wouldn't let her choice be your choice, but it will let her know what you have found, what your concerns are.

And, yes, it takes two people in MOST cases to destroy a relationship. What is lacking in yours OR is she a "the grass is always greener" person?
    WindChill Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Oct 6, 2012, 03:09 PM
    I'd confront her about the messages you found on her phone because I know if I was in this situation I'd feel very hurt and betrayed. Don't yell at her, just simply sit her down and ask her to be honest with u. Tell her your sorry for snooping and that you know it wasn't the right thing to do but explain that you felt it was something you had to do to try and ease your mind. Be honest with her and ask her that she do the same.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Let face it, you were looking for something and you found it. Now tell her and be straight about it because either you work together to solve the problems, or you break up.

Its possible and not unheard of she wanted you to see those messages and left her phone unattended. Never know unless you communicate honestly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my sons father wants to change my sons last name without my consent ? [ 3 Answers ]

My son's father want to change my son's last name to his. My son is 6 years old and his father has never been in his life till now. Is his father allwoed to change my son's last name without my consent?

My sons father died before he was born. Can my husband adopt? [ 1 Answers ]

My sons real father died when I was eight months pregnant. He now draws a check off him because we proved he was the father with a sibling dna. I got back with my oldest child's father while pregnant, and we have been together ever since, which is almost 7 years. Can he legally adopt him, so we...

If there is no legal father on my sons birth certificate, can my husband adopt? [ 7 Answers ]

My son will turn two in August. His bio father was notified he was born and even destroyed the affadavit and DNA request forms in front of me. My husband has been there for me and my son since he was two weeks old. We now have a mutual daughter. We changed my sons name (he had my maiden), and would...

Wanting to change sons last name father not on birth cert and not in sons life [ 10 Answers ]

I need help my son is almost 3 and his father will not sign the birth cert and will not pay child support and will not give up his rights I am a single mother who has kept myself off welfare because they will go after him and. I am not wanting anything from him, I am just wanting to take his last...

My sons girlfriends parents want her to give baby up for adoption [ 28 Answers ]

My son is 17 years old. His girlfriend is 15. Her parents want her to give the baby up for adoption when it is born. We want to raise the baby. Can anyone tell us what our his legal rights are? Her parents will not return our phone calls and she is 4 months pregnant and they haven't taken her to a...

View more questions Search