Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Oct 3, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Troubled daughter
    I just found out 2 days ago that my daughter stole her grandmaothers credit card and has used it to rack up 3000 dollars in charges. Her grand mother is afraid to involve law enforcement for fear of ruining her life. My daughter is 20 years old and lives in South Carolina she used the card in South Carolina and Georgia one of her friends also used the card. Does anyone know the penalties she could face from this. The card has been reported stolen and shut down, My daughter says she will repay the balance but she doesn't have a great track record of repayment to anyone. She has never been in any real trouble before just a shoplifting charge when she was 16. Any help is appreciated thanks AC
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 05:27 PM
    I am sorry, she needs to be punished. If she gets away with this, what will be the reason not to do it again or more ?

First time? Most likely probation, and have to pay the money though the courts and have to pay fines.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 05:28 PM
    She needs to suffer the consequences to her actions.

Oct 3, 2012, 06:13 PM
    Any thoughts on punishment without having to charge her with credit card fraud. A civil action maybe rather than criminal ? Any thoughts opinions ideas are welcome thanks AC
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2012, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ac101 View Post
    any thoughts on punishment without having to charge her with credit card fraud. A civil action maybe rather than criminal ? Any thoughts opinions ideas are welcome thanks AC
    Hello ac:

I don't know what to DO.. I just know that calling the cops on your daughter ISN'T the right thing to do. Nobody EVER learned anything from jail.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 4, 2012, 06:23 AM
    ... A civil action maybe rather than criminal ? ...
    I really don't think that will teach her anything.

She can completely ignore it until the judgment creditor (the grandmother in this case) manages to levy upon no-exempt assets. Ain't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello ac:

I don't know what to DO.. I just know that calling the cops on your daughter ISN'T the right thing to do. Nobody EVER learned anything from jail.
    Never? I don't know, but it does seem that the criminal route has better potential than the civil one.

Oct 4, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Ex con in most cases I agree that jail only teaches most people to be better criminals. I don't have the words to describe my feelings about this all I know for sure is that she has to learn from this or the mistake will be bigger next time.

Oct 4, 2012, 08:19 AM
    Ak lawyer thanks for the response, That's what I was afraid of because her grandmother is 81 years old and although in good health now who knows what will happen in the future.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2012, 08:41 AM
    all i know for sure is that she has to learn from this or the mistake will be bigger next time.
    Hello again, ac:

I don't disagree. But, I wouldn't call the cops on her. I don't think you understand what the lifelong ramifications would be to HER, and I don't think you've considered how your relationship would suffer as a result...

Female prisoners are likely to be raped. She'll be beaten for sure. Do you really want to DO that to your daughter? How would you deal with being cut off from her for the rest of your life?

excon

Oct 4, 2012, 08:51 AM
    Yeah that's what I'm struggling with now not only my relationship with her but given her small physical stature she would be an easy mark in the prison system so I really don't want to go there. I was hoping this could somehow be handled so she could accept responsibility for the debt but avoid jail time. I just don't think a repayment agreement between her and her grandmother whether private or court awarded will workout because she simply will not pay.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2012, 09:18 AM
    I was hoping this could somehow be handled so she could accept responsibility for the debt but avoid jail time.
    Hello again, ac:

That MIGHT happen.. And, then again, it might not.

excon

Oct 4, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Well given the fact she is already overdrawn on her bank account, unemployed with no prospects of employement and as far as I can tell no desire to become employed I have come to realize that she probably has no interest in repaying anything. I still don't think jail is the answer just looking for ideas thanks for any thoughts anyone has. I was thinking maybe if she called the credit card company and agreed to repay the debt maybe they would release her grandmother from liability and then it would be her problem.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 4, 2012, 05:22 PM
    ... I was thinking maybe if she called the credit card company and agreed to repay the debt maybe they would release her grandmother from liability and then it would be her problem.
    If grandmother can show the credit card company that the card was stolen, she Isn't liable.

Might be a good idea though: make the CC company be the bad guy. Perhaps your daughter will then realize she has no hope of mercy from them.

Oct 4, 2012, 07:19 PM
    Thanks for all the help I will update as things develop

AC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubled [ 2 Answers ]

My current boyfriend and I just got back together a little over a month ago. We dated previously for over a yr. During one of our "breaks" he got another girl pregnant. I was so devastated. When we found out for sure she was pregnant I left him because I couldn't take it. She planned the pregnancy...

Troubled [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so my guardians only have custody of me they did not adopt me. I am wanting to move out when I turn 18. But I will not have graduated from high school yet. So can my guardians do anything when I move out?

Troubled to be Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I hope that I am putting this post in the right area, but I am still new to the forums so please excuse me if I messed up. I am just stressed out and have been searching for some time for an answer and I hope someone can help if they are so kind. I'm 23 and am expecting to be a...

Troubled son [ 4 Answers ]

Hi.. Im new here and just seeking advice, from anybody that can offer it. I have an 18 year old son that's been in trouble most of his life. I have sent him to just about every place I can possibly think of to help him. Some of those places the authorities placed him in. They diagnosed him with...

Troubled grown daughter [ 19 Answers ]

My daughter had a biracial daughter. It was a beyond a shock. I love this child with all my heart, but my daughter treats me horrible. She never has anything to do with me unless she needs me to babysit. Today was the worst. We will probably never speak again. I can't reach her.

View more questions Search