Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Salenger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Can a collection agency take items that belong to my spouse? Common law relationship
    I am in a fairly serious debt issue about 4k on one credit card, the collection agency that is has been handling my debt for about 2 months has threatended legal action and has state I have property they can take in order for the debt to be clearer.

Myself I have no items of substantial value, our family has one car which is owned (paid for) by my spouse and some other items within the household that I do not own e.g. TV, computer etc... all of which my spouse has paid for since I was laid off during the recession two years ago.

My question is can the collection agency enter my home and take items that belong to my spouse? She is not a cosigner and has absolutely nothing to do with my debt, but the manner in which this agency is talking they are making it seem as though they can just enter our house and take whatever they want to pay the debt off. I have put myself into a bad situation and I really hope this won't affect my spouse or family.

We live in Ontario Canada.

Any advice or info on the above is appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 12:26 PM
    This must be a collection agency that is really desperate. If they don't have a judgment against you, they can't take anything, can't come into your house, absolutely no way.

Usually confiscated items don't bring much value to their table, so are worthless in bringing down a debt.

I suggest you have no contact with them, do not speak to them on the phone.

They will threaten anything to get your money, but how old is the debt; they have obviously bought the debt for so much on the dollar, trying to collect.
    Salenger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 12:34 PM
    Thanks, ill take that advice for now. The debt is about 6-8 months old, since I was unable to make payments for my Credit Card. This Agency has been handling it for 2 months max, they did threaten to seek legal action as well, I assume I will be informed of when this court hearing takes place and will need to be present? Also if you happen to know, will the police come to my door and drop off a court summons or anything like that? Im just worried that a 4k debt could end up destroying our life.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 04:14 PM
    The police won't come, you will be informed through the mail. The police have nothing to do with this. 4k is nothing as to what some people owe, Salenger.

Just remember, unless they have a judgment against you, you don't have to talk to them on the phone. They have a lot of scare tactics, I assure you.

They will be taking you to small claims court, not a judge and jury.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Please stop talking to them on the phone, They lie, if they were or wanted to do legal action now, they would just do it, not threaten to do it.

Without a judgement, they can't do anything and if this was in the US, it is illegal for them to even threaten to have the police come to your home. I assume it should be wrong in Canada to threaten this also.

If this was me, I would no longer even speak to them on the phone. Ask them to put any of this in writing. And if you just must speak to them on the phone, get a recorder, inform them that anything said is being recorded and I bet they either hang up or change their tunes.

The collector gets a large percentage of what they collect, so they often lie and threaten to try to get you to pay, so they make money.

Personaly I don't answer or hang up and never talk to them on the Phone. In the US, we would even write them and tell them not to contact us by phone any longer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection agency/law firm [ 4 Answers ]

We have been trying for a month now to pay off a debt my son has. He went away to college and while away purchased a new motorcycle. Well he quit paying the monthly payment and got behind on the bill. We found out and had a fit, too late unfortunately. We have tried to contact the original...

New Law coming in about common law spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I understand a new law will be coming soon, to protect the common law spouse. Given similar rights as if you were married. Can somebody help!! I would like to know the date when the law will be in place and what this will entail?

Law Firm/Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I owe money to Capital One and it is my debt under my own name... not married. I do not have a checking account but I do have a savings account with my husband... can they put a freeze on that or on my husband's personal account? The collection agency has turned it over to a law firm.

What are my rights against Law Firms for collection agency [ 4 Answers ]

I am not perfect and have had some health issues so I am not working so I cannot pay any debts I owe at this time. So I am being sued by 2 Law Firms for credit cards both happening around the same time. I live in New Jersey. First Law Firm sends me a summons around end of Oct and I answer the...

View more questions Search