Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    looking4ansrs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Replacing thermostat batteries
    I am wondering if I need to turn off my electric power in order to replace the batteries on my wall thermostat. If I do need to turn it off, should I turn off the main power on my circuit breaker box or just the circuit to my furnace ?

Thank you for your assistance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 09:34 PM
    While the control voltage for most heating and cooling systems is only 24 volts, hard to tell exactly what voltage you actually have, as there are some line voltage control systems. In any case, no matter what the voltage is, the power should be turned off just to prevent any problems. Even working on low voltage control can be a problem if the wrong wires are shorted, which can blow control fuses, or even damage the electronic thermostat.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Weathertron thermostat with Honeywell [ 7 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace our Weathertron thermostat with a Honeywell RTH3100C. We have a Trane heatpump system. I am having trouble with the wiring. My wires don't match the 'less common wire designations' in the manual. I have the following wires on the Weathertron: R-red T-brown O-orange...

Replacing old thermostat with a Honeywell RTH230B [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing my old Honeywell mecury thermostat with a programmable Honeywell RTH230B. I have two unmarked wires (red & white) connected to the old thermostat. I know, given my furnace, that I need to use connections "RH" and "W" on my new thermostat. What wire, Red/White goes to what...

Replacing thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to change out my old thermostat which uses a mercury switch to a Honeywell ct2800 programmable thermostat. The old thermostat which is also a Honeywell has just 2 wires connected to it and none of the terminal posts got any letter markings. There is no instructions on the ct2800 on...

Replacing old thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a new thermostat (digital 7 day programable) for the main part of the house, and I was going to move the old digital to the "gas fire place heated room". My problem... there are only 2 wires coming out of the wall going to the gas fire place. The old one had 3 from the wall and the RC...

Please Help w/Replacing Honeywell Thermostat... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I've just removed my Honeywell Thermostat and am trying to replace it with a Noma programmable tstat... but am having problems with the wiring. There are 5 wires coming out of the wall - Green, Black, Orange, Red and White, and only 4 posts on the Noma tstat (Green, Red, Yellow and White). ...

View more questions Search