Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dom69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2012, 12:04 AM
    Connecting a light fixture au
    Hi,
    I am connecting a new light. There are 2 cables coming out of the ceiling; 1 cable has 1 red and 1 white wire. The other cable has 1, red, 1 black and 1 green / yellow.

The cable with the red and white is from the switch, (I think). The other is the mains for the light. The light itself only has 3 connections (red, black , green); i.e. no room for the white. So when I connected, leaving out the white, the light stays on and cannot be switched off.

What shall I do?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2012, 05:45 AM
    Are u in USA?

Not use to the color code u gave.

Attach one wire from switch to one wire from other cable.

Attach other wire from switch to black wire for light.

Attach the 2 green together.

Attach the remaining 2 wires together.

If u have a multimeter, u can test to see which is hot and which is neutral with meter set on AC volts. Set on ohms to test if red/white cable is the switch leg.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light fixture shorted out, replaced fixture, now no power [ 4 Answers ]

In my bathroom, I have 1 grounded receptacle, & (1) 2 wire light switch that controls the 4 bulb light fixture. This is on a circuit with my upstairs lights & outlets, which all work with no problem. The bathroom receptacle has never worked, I replaced it after moving in house 10 years ago, & it...

How to change a pull string light fixture to a wall switch controlled light. [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change a pull string light fixture to a new light fixture with a wall switch. I have two wires running to the existing string light and am not sure what to do with those wires. I plan to change the light as well.

How to change a pull chain fixture to a fluorescent light fixture with a switch ? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a switch for a pull light fixture. The only power is from the light fixture, but I want to put a light switch on the wall as I enter the room, Can you help ?

Hamton Bay outdoor light fixture... how to replace a dead light bulb. [ 0 Answers ]

I have to see if one of the glass panels slides up or down or left and right. It does not appear that the top or bottom is removable. Don't have instruction guide... don't know the model number

Connecting a ceiling fixture [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect three wires in the ceiling to a two wire fixture?

View more questions Search