Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Mar 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Phone Modem
    Hello all,

I'm helping a friend out on her computer. Its very old... and I don't think worth much time or effort, but she wants it working ;) Anyway, I think it's a 400mhz, 256 of standard 32 pin memory, running windows 2000 professional. Its got one of those great big expansion cards that have the PCI slots, that's not fun to try to get out to do anything. It finds her modem, I can query it without any problems, but it won't dial. I have tried picking up the phone to see if it does anything, as I tell it to connect, but nothing happens. She has a phone plugged into the second port, and it works, so I'm sure its not a phone line issue.
    Without knowing anything about the computer, I brought a spare modem I had laying around just in case hers was bad. She told me she had just bought the computer, so I just naturally figured she was running at least WinXP, and didn't bring any drivers with me. Well windows 2000 wouldn't even find my modem, so it was out of the question anyway.

Long story... long I guess, is it possible that even though windows finds her modem, will query it without a problem, and tell me everything is fine with it, that the modem is still bad? Or should I start looking for another reason its not working?
    kfarley Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Have you tried a different pci slot? Or the same one
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Mar 12, 2007, 04:51 AM
    I tried different slots, but the modem was bad. We went and bought a new one this weekend (figuring we could return it if it wasn't the problem) and it works fine now.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need dsl modem help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm planning on getting a dsl modem connection for my room know how would this thing be set up in my room I already have a phone jack in my room which I don't use atm could I use this or would some guy come in amd make a new one

How to record phone conversations from phone to PC? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there an inexpensive way to record phone conversations directly to PC using the earphone or headset jack port on the phone to either microphone line in port or USB port on PC? Does it also require special software? Here's what I want to do: My friend and I want to record our phone...

Stolen phone - am I stuck with phone charges? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone was stolen recently and the guy who stole it called all over the place, adding about $175 in phone charges to our phone bill. I reported it stolen to Qwest, but they say the charges are still my responsibility. I am planning to refute the bill, but I don't know the correct...

Modem for highspeed? [ 2 Answers ]

Quick queastion.. my modem isn't working however we can now get highspeed where I live. I was wonderingif you need a modem to have highspeed

View more questions Search