Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TootsSlimtowski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2012, 10:55 PM
    My ex is a physician. He shared my personal medical information with my employer
    I live in San Bernardino, California. My ex and I divorced in March 2008. My ex is a physician. In December 2008 he was angry with me so he wrote an letter to my employer stating that I was stalking him and shared my private medical information with my employer. Did he violate my HIPAA rights or any other law?
    This was only the FIRST incident in which he is accusing me of ridiculous things and filing police reports/CPS reports or contacting my employer to try to get me fired.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2012, 04:24 AM
    Depends on how he came by the info. If he came by it because he was treating you then yes. Otherwise no. If he got the info from your physician as a professional courtesy, then your physician would have violated HIPAA.

However, this does appear to be harassment. You should ask for a restraining order.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TootsSlimtowski View Post
    I live in San Bernardino, California. My ex and I divorced in March 2008. My ex is a physician. In December 2008 he was angry with me so he wrote an letter to my employer stating that I was stalking him and shared my private medical information with my employer. Did he violate my HIPAA rights or any other law?
    This was only the FIRST incident in which he is accusing me of ridiculous things and filing police reports/CPS reports or contacting my employer to try to get me fired.

I'm with Scott. Reporting that he broke HIPAA rules isn't really going to do much. Filing a Police Report and asking for a restraining order will accomplish a great deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can HR obtain personal medical information? [ 1 Answers ]

I have reason to believe that my personal and medical information has been obtained by my HR dept. From my DR. And has even been shared around the office to supervisors and co-employees. What can I do about this ?

Can a hospital employer discuss medical information with third party [ 2 Answers ]

I was let go from the hospital I was working at as a respiratory therapist because I did not inform them of a new medication I was taking. In Sept of 2010, I had to go to employee health, speak with the nurse and the employee health physician that were the ones that I only dealt with and the...

Can my supervisor divulge personal medical information to her supervisor and HR? [ 5 Answers ]

HIPPA Law in CO as it relates to substance abuse I took a two week absences from work to detox my body from alcohol and seek counseling from a CD Counselor. I work as a dental assistant at a prestigious university . I shared this information with my direct supervisor (the dentist) and asked...

Hospital employee shared personal medical information with my husband what can I do? [ 1 Answers ]

My soon to be exhusband (former hospital employee) commented to me about a breast implant issue I had years prior to meeting him. (He commented me not sharing with him I had a leak in my implant.) This was never true but made me remember my doctor requested a mammogram at the hospital he worked...

Personal medical information sent to wrong address and opened [ 6 Answers ]

My son went through a special diagnosric clinic at our hospital to diagnose an autism spectrum disorder. We spoke with 5 different doctors, therapists, etc and then they all got together discussed his case and came up with his diagnoses. During the interviews my husband and I gave information...

View more questions Search