Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2012, 01:33 AM
    Weight Loss issues
    I have been struggling with weight all of my adult life. I gained quite a bit (100lbs) when I was pregnant with my daughter (18/19 years)

And since then, no diet, lifestyle change, doctor, or holistic help, could get me to lose weight.
    I'm at my wits end and my doctor is urging me to consider bypass surgery, since he can't find any good medical reason why I can't lose weight :(

For the last several months (those of you who know me, I posted about this before) I have been eating healthy, and going to the gym each day. With cardio and fat burning, as well as toning and strength training. EVERY weekday, for 1 to 2 hours.

I lost 10 lbs the first 2 weeks. But then gained 14 lbs back! I didn't even break even!

I have been sticking to it, and I still keep either staying put, or gaining a pound or two.

The same happened when I was in the hospital (mental health) I was on a strict diet, and did daily exercise, and the 2 weeks I was there, I gained 10lbs.

When I Don't diet, and Don't exercise, I plateau and don't gain a thing.

My doctor is out of ideas. He has done blood tests, I have been to nutritionalists.

Can ANYONE think of ANYTHING at all, that I could bring up with my doctor, about why this is happening to me.

I Don't want the surgery. I want to do this mySELF.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 22, 2012, 03:36 AM
    Could be your doctor's suggestion of bypass is a good on, jenniepepsi. Don't be so hard on yourself and take the easy way through this if nothing else has worked for you.

Look on the bright side, the bypass will make a new woman out of you !

Let me know what you decide!
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2012, 03:48 AM
    Ugh. Yes but taking the easy way out is exactly what I don't want lol.

You are probably right. If the doctor can't find anything I doubt there IS anything.

I just wish there was some way to do it the natural way you know?
    Gamed Posts: 269, Reputation: 29

Aug 23, 2012, 12:05 AM
    Ask your doctor about a thyroid disorder I have a friend who can keep up with me on daily 5mi runs he still never looses his belly because he has a hypo thyroid gland
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 01:24 AM
    Yeah they did a tsh and the doctor said it was fine.
    I have been thinking about specifically asking for the T3 and 4 though, cause he never did those.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 23, 2012, 01:49 AM
    Are you on any kind of medication? We all know what psych meds can do to weight.
    I'm overweight too, but I know I overeat. I blame it on low level pain (that I've had since I was thinner) that makes me exhausted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 03:10 AM
    Our bodies are a funny thing, I work out 6 days a week, practice or teach my Karate about 3 days a week, and my weight just holds steady ( and it is too much) My wife having somewhat of the same issue found that while her thyroid was showing within normal range, it was to the higher area of normal. And each normal is a average, so some people the higher part of normal can still be high.

Not saying this is your issue, but that a long with interactions of drugs can always be issues.

And sometimes we eat and do not even realise it, or track it,

But having the surgery is not a easy way out, it is a painful somewhat last resort.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 03:24 AM
    I'm not on any meds.

I used to overeat. And I did have one slip up at a birthday party and had pizza and cake :( I used to do this thing where I wouldn't be hungry at ALL, all day long. But then 10pm would come around, I would be suddenly starving.

Now I eat, 6 times a day, whether I'm hungry or not. And I eat good. I mean, I can't do it perfect, every now and then, ill have a bag of pop corn with ayla watching movies. Or ill have coffee (with sugar and cream) while I'm visiting my sister. And I know I can't do that. And I log it each time too.

But a few slips can't be causing the whole problem can it?

I mean, one of my favorite foods now is spinach salad with veggies and fat free citrus dressing.

I don't even crave my previous favorite food. It was TERRIBLE. 3 cans of deviled ham, and 8 oz of cream cheese, melted in the microwave, blended together, and dipped with salt and vinegar chips. After I stopped eating so bad, it just doesn't sound good anymore.
    Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 04:23 AM
    One thing you have to remember is work out and eat less, calories have to be less then. An apple is 60 cals, and grapefruits are good, eaten like an orange, for losing weight. It is the juice but for some reason just the juice doesn't work.

I job 2 miles every day, as soon as I get a break from work, at the community centre. They have a jogging/walking track above their hockey rink and it is always a cool temp in there refreshing to job or run!

Lots of water, jenniepepsi, to flush out the impurities.

If I think of anything else I have learned over the years, will pass it on.

Good luck, be disciplined and persevere.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 04:39 AM
    Thanks tickle :) I do drink tons of water. Though I think I can drink more, and I try to push that farther every day.
    I can't jog yet :( that's one of my goals, is to be able to just get up and go for a run or jog. But with almost 300lbs, and so many years of pretty much sedentary, my ankles and knees try to give out from under me when I try to even just walk on pavement. I do really good on the treadmill though (I guess it has more cushion or something?) and I'm up to speed 4 consistently. Its ALMOST a jog :P and we live in a 2 story house, so I make use of those stairs to try to get my knees and ankles stronger.

OMG funny side story. When I first started, I was so excited to try an elliptical. It looked like so much fun!
    I FELL OFF IT!! LOL. Scared the life out of me! HOW do people make their ankles and legs move like that!! LOL
    Expert

Aug 23, 2012, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    thanks tickle :) i do drink tons of water. though i think i can drink more, and i try to push that farther every day.
    i can't jog yet :( thats one of my goals, is to be able to just get up and go for a run or jog. but with almost 300lbs, and so many years of pretty much sedentary, my ankles and knees try to give out from under me when i try to even just walk on pavement. i do really good on the treadmill though (i guess it has more cushion or something?) and im up to speed 4 consistently. its ALMOST a jog :P and we live in a 2 story house, so i make use of those stairs to try to get my knees and ankles stronger.

OMG funny side story. when i first started, i was so excited to try an elliptical. it looked like so much fun!
    i FELL OFF IT!!! LOL. scared the life out of me! HOW do people make their ankles and legs move like that!!! LOL
    Elliptical was never one of my caves, neither the treadmill. Too boring!

Once knees are compromised, Jennie, sorry to say, never get better, although power walks are good, or just walking at a good pace is excellent cardio.

I gave up on gyms a long time ago, as I hated being indoors.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
    Aww :( so there isn't really any chance of getting my joints stronger? That sucks! :( but I bet with less weight they will be more capable huh? :P
    Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 03:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    aww :( so there isnt really any chance of getting my joints stronger? that sucks! :( but i bet with less weight they will be more capable huh? :P
    Most definitely so, and of course, stronger leg muscles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am an over weight teen and I would like to loss weight [ 9 Answers ]

Hi guys and gals. I am 17 yrs old. And have been overweight ever scense I can remember (all my life) and I really would like to finally loos weight I mean I am comfortable with myself but I know I need to get healthy Any tips?

Cardio vs weight training-which is more effective for quick weight loss? [ 4 Answers ]

I know most everyone makes a big deal about the "fat burning" cardio, but I also know that having a high % of lean muscle bumps up the metabolism, and burns fat faster. If you're working out hard with the weights, you are getting the old heart pumping too. What would be a good regimen for someone...

Weight loss, making my own weight loss journal [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 and I want to lose weight and make my own weight loss journal. What are some things I sholud keep trak of? And shloud there be things I sholud add as I start, like look at taking vitmins.

What weight loss program helps you detoxify and loss weight at a good rate? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to detoxify my body and loss weight healthily and rapidly. I want to lose 80 lbs by the end of the year.. . I did south beach and I lost about 50 pounds in not even 3 months. :)

View more questions Search