Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miabongo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Did my green card process will take longer if I don't go to school?
    Hi I am a f1 student and got married to a us army soldier but I have not sent my files for the green card to the immigration yet. My I20 still valid for now I just graduated for my associate degree but I'm wondering if will be able to go to school next semester so I don't know if that will affect my status and will be a problem when I am sending my files for the green card? Or if that will take much longer for me to get approved? Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by miabongo View Post
    Hi I am a f1 student and got married to a us army soldier but I have not sent my files for the green card to the immigration yet. My I20 still valid for now I just graduated for my associate degree but I'm wondering if will be able to go to school next semester so I don't know if that will affect my status and will be a problem when I am sending my files for the green card? Or if that will take much longer for me to get approved? Thanks

As an "F1" you are REQUIRES to attend school. "Never violate your status. As an F-1, you are required to be a full-time student in every semester, which is at least nine credits for graduate students and 12 credits for undergraduate students. When your course work is completed and you are writing your thesis, make sure that you register for that so that your status remains intact. You do not have to register during the summer semesters."

If you are not in school you need to inform the authorities and apply for a change of status. If you are not a student and the authorities find out by some other means you will be in danger of being deported.

I would consult with an Immigration Attorney before doing anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce during green card process [ 1 Answers ]

I am on an F-1 status and got married 6 years ago. My husband obtained his green card after our 2nd year of marriage. We decided to wait for him to become citizen before he would petition for my green card, as this might have been the faster route for my green card. We have a 2 yr old child...

My parents what to process they green card again? [ 1 Answers ]

My parents had a green card. They surrendered and got visitor visa for USA now they want to be a green card holder again what is the procedure?

Green Card Process [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in USA on H1b Visa and came here in 2006. So I have visa till 2009 and one extension till 2012. I have married to a Girl who is Green Card Holder and got Green Card in May 2006. Now what is the best option for me to file a Green Card. Through my Employer or through my Wife. Or Can I apply...

View more questions Search