Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heferris Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Can I apply for state id while I have a warrant in another state?
    I have a warrant in another state but am about to head back to address it. I need to get an ID in Kansas so that I am able to fly back across the country to handle this. Will I have any problems at the DMV?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by heferris View Post
    I have a warrant in another state but am about to head back to address it. I need to get an ID in Kansas so that I am able to fly back across the country to handle this. Will I have any problems at the DMV?

Possibly, yes. They can deny you a license. You can also be held for the Police, although that doesn't happen often.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Will I have any problems at the DMV?
    Hello h:

I'd give it 50/50.. They DO have computers, you know.

excon

Aug 17, 2012, 07:39 AM
    I can see them denying me a license but just a state ID? How am I supposed to get this resolved if I can't fly back there? I obviously can't get on a plane w/o an ID!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 07:44 AM
    I can see them denying me a license but just a state ID? How am I supposed to get this resolved if I can't fly back there?
    Hello again, h:

When you go the DMV, you SEE some of them wearing UNIFORMS with big, bright shiny BADGES on their chest... That should be a CLUE that they're COPS... They're NOT interested in helping you... If they SEE that you have a warrant, they'll only be interested in BUSTING you.

I don't think you need an ID to hitch hike.

excon
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 07:47 AM
    I can see them denying me a license but just a state ID? How am I supposed to get this resolved if I can't fly back there? I obviously can't get on a plane w/o an ID!!

How did you get to Kansas?

Anyway, retain an Attorney and see what he/she recommends.

Or apply for the driver's license, hope you get detained and you'll get a free trip across the Country.

Aug 17, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, h:

When you go the the DMV, you SEE some of them wearing UNIFORMS with big, bright shiny BADGES on their chest... That should be a CLUE that they're COPS... They're NOT interested in helping you... If they SEE that you have a warrant, they'll only be interested in BUSTING you.

I don't think you need an ID to hitch hike.

excon

LOL! Good point! Although, I'm visiting family in a small town in KS where there are no cops at the DMV. Or so I'm told. It's not like the warrant will be cause for extradition, just afraid they'll arrest me and hold me until they find out that NV won't pay to get me back! I guess I should consider what bad luck I've had in the past. Murphy is my worst enemy! If it can happen, it will!
    Thanks for your feedback! :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
    I will agree a 50/50 chance they will detain you and see if they will pay to take you back.
    Thus you problem of getting back is solved, just let them transport you.

But don't you have a old drivers license or state ID from your other state ? Even expired they are still an ID. And there is always greyhound.
    But how do you plan on "taking care of it" you have to turn yourself in and appear in court to deal with a warrant, and/or at least have it arange to have a bondsman bail you out as soon as you turn yourself in.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I will agree a 50/50 chance they will detain you and see if they will pay to take you back.

But don't you have a old drivers license or state ID from your other state ? Even expired they are still an ID. And there is always greyhound.
    But how do you plan on "taking care of it" you have to turn yourself in and appear in court to deal with a warrant, and/or at least have it arange to have a bondsman bail you out as soon as you turn yourself in.

Or rent a car - unless the driver's license has expired and if that's the case - why?

Yes, there do appear to be some unanswered questions.

Aug 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

Well, they won't transport me all the way back to NV. I already talked to a friend who is has a judge buddy who said they won't pay to extradite. BUT I am afraid they'll hang on to me while they wait to find out. I do have a NV license. It has a hole punched in it because it WAS suspended but it is no longer under suspension. I am just concerned that they'll give me a hard time at the airport (they refused to cash a check once at the bank) AND my biggest concern is that I'll need to fly again soon. Although I'm going back to handle this, my grandmother is ill and I'm afraid to have to come back before it's all situated and my ID is expired. Hmmm... so can you fly on an expired ID? I hadn't thought about Greyhound.
    Well... thank you! I really appreciate the input.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 08:53 AM
    well, they won't transport me all the way back to NV. I already talked to a friend who is has a judge buddy who said they won't pay to extradite.

I wouldn't put all my faith in what a Judge told your friend who told you and then you told us.

Someone is looking for a trip to NV, they'll take you.

In NY the "transport" requests are POSTED and (usually) the Sheriff Department BIDS on them!

Aug 17, 2012, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    How did you get to Kansas?

Anyway, retain an Attorney and see what he/she recommends.

Or apply for the driver's license, hope you get detained and you'll get a free trip across the Country.
    I rode along with my mother who had retired and moved back to Kansas. Yeah... had an attorney in NV who was worthless. I'm in the process of finding another.

Aug 17, 2012, 08:55 AM
    I wouldn't put all my faith in what a Judge told your friend who told you and then you told us.

Someone is looking for a trip to NV, they'll take you.

In NY the "transport" requests are POSTED and (usually) the Sheriff Department BIDS on them!
    Lol. Good to know! Really? They are "auctioned off"? That would be funny if it didn't sound so twisted! ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
    Yes, transport is good extra money, like over time work, same as officers who work at construction sites.

But I do agree I doubt they will transport you, but that does not stop you from being denied an ID and being detained till they decide not to transport you.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2012, 09:25 AM
    I think whether they would extradite you is dependent on the charges. For ignored parking violations, probably not. For a charge of rape or armed battery, I'd certainly think they would. Is there a reason you are running from your legal problems? Wouldn't it be better to just face the charges so you can live without looking over your shoulder? What a horrible way to live. This is going to be an issue for renting an apartment, getting a job, enrolling kids in school, getting married, getting credit, getting medical care - you have to have ID to make it in this society.

And if you've done something wrong, it would be good for your concience and character to clean up your mess.

Aug 17, 2012, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    I think whether or not they would extradite you is dependent on the charges. For ignored parking violations, probably not. For a charge of rape or armed battery, I'd certainly think they would. Is there a reason you are running from your legal problems? Wouldn't it be better to just face the charges so you can live without looking over your shoulder? What a horrible way to live. This is going to be an issue for renting an apartment, getting a job, enrolling kids in school, getting married, getting credit, getting medical care - you have to have ID to make it in this society.

And if you've done something wrong, it would be good for your concience and character to clean up your mess.
    It's all traffic related. Not that I should run from that, either... which I'm not. I "skipped town" because I thought I was going to lose my grandmother. I've been here for a while, she just celebrated her 90th birthday and seems stable enough to go back and address the issue. I certainly don't want to live my life like wondering if/when I'll be taken in! Therein lies the problem. I'm flying back. How do I go back to address it and in the process, my ID expires? I just want to have a valid ID so that's one less concern.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    I think whether or not they would extradite you is dependent on the charges. For ignored parking violations, probably not. For a charge of rape or armed battery, I'd certainly think they would. Is there a reason you are running from your legal problems? Wouldn't it be better to just face the charges so you can live without looking over your shoulder? What a horrible way to live. This is going to be an issue for renting an apartment, getting a job, enrolling kids in school, getting married, getting credit, getting medical care - you have to have ID to make it in this society.

Guessing when OP knows but if his driver's license was suspended I'm suspecting it's V&T related.

Aug 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
    Guessing when OP knows but if his driver's license was suspended I'm suspecting it's V&T related.
    For those that helped me today... I ended up calling the DMV and they told me that it shouldn't be a problem... crossed my fingers and went down there. They showed license suspended due to the unpaid tickets BUT they were able to give me a state ID and had no problem. So... no license but I do have identification and can fly back to NV to resolve all of this. Thanks for everyone's input!
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
    It's all traffic related. Not that I should run from that, either...which I'm not. I "skipped town" b/c I thought I was going to lose my grandmother. I've been here for a while, she just celebrated her 90th bday and seems stable enough to go back and address the issue. I certainly don't want to live my life like wondering if/when I'll be taken in!! Therein lies the problem. I'm flying back. How do I go back to address it and in the process, my ID expires? I just want to have a valid ID so that's one less concern.

You told the Court your Grandmother was sick, you thought you were going to "lose her" and they refused to postpone your appearance?

If/when you are taking in you'll be taken to jail. I'm sure you've heard how that is.

I don't think you're flying back, not without ID.

So back to Greyhound, hitchhiking, something else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I apply for a state id while I have a warrant and not be arrested? [ 7 Answers ]

Crazy. Ihave an exsiting warrant and need to get a state identification for various reasons; check cashing, entering different places. And such. I wanted to know if I went to my local dmv to purchase one would I be arrested? Do they have the power? Can they even pull up my criminal record? And is...

Warrant for state taxes against out of state resident [ 1 Answers ]

NY State has issued a warrant against me for un-paid taxes. These taxes are for a business that I did not own but they are holding me responsible because I helped with a chapter 11 filing. I live and work in WV and also deposit a government penison in to my only checking account ( no other monies...

Taxes on inheritance apply to decedent's state law or beneficiary's state law [ 1 Answers ]

I have received several distribution's from my father's estate - life insurance, my share of an annuity, my share of sale of a vehicle and other equipment, and my share of a CD rolled over into the estate account. Since my father died in Kentucky, and I live in Iowa, which states's laws apply when...

If a have a warrant for a misdemeanor in one state and move to another state. [ 3 Answers ]

If someone has a warrant for a failure to appear for a misdemeanor and they move to another state. Will they be able to get a license in the other state? And would the previous state really extradite for a misdemeanor?

View more questions Search