Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pantnik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 05:06 AM
    We provide 3 months free security monitoring to clients, what is the journal entry?
    Some clients are offered 3 months free security monitoring when they first come to us. While we don't receive any revenue from them during this period, I want to know how I record this transaction. If I enter the following:
    Dr Discount - free monitoring
    Cr Revenue
    It has a nil net effect on the P&L. I need to show that while revenue is nil, our expenses for the period are in fact increased, in that we are providing a service at our expense. So my question is, how do I reflect this in the accounts?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2012, 05:30 AM
    You need to get some perspective here

Your expenses are what they are, if they have increased you report this by way of a report. If you want to artificially inflate sales to show a discount do so, but this is artificial and I suspect the result of you disagreeing with a policy.

Accounting reports rely on facts, not some artificail perspective of what might have been. If you want to give perspective you might also demonstrate whether sales have risen or not because of this policy and the net increase/decrease in net profit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remotely Monitoring Our Own Security System [ 0 Answers ]

We are retired and several months down the road in having a custom house built & now at the point of wiring for security. As a side issue I'm planning to implement our own IP camera network to cover our automatic gate, VERY long driveway and house exterior. While it would be ideal it if were a...

How would the journal entry look for recorded revenue earned and billed to clients [ 1 Answers ]

How would you do the entry for revenue earned and billed to clients during the month, $41,900

How to record a free rent in Journal Entry [ 1 Answers ]

If I have a 5 year of lease and one month free rent per year, how do I record this? We are used to recording: CR: Other Account receivable DR: rent expense. It seems to me something missing?. Appreciate your help..

View more questions Search