Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worriedsick84 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 11:09 AM
    For DrBill100 about EtG test
    Dr. Bill,
    I have to take an EtG UA 22 hours after drinking two 30% alcohol shots. If I drink a lot of water what do you think my chances are of passing? Thank you so much in advance.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2012, 11:35 AM
    Under normal circumstances EtG should still be present at that time span. While it is known that the metabolite is influenced by liquids the degree of that effect hasn't been studied to any extent.

Helen Dahl in her 2011 report states that " ..it is possible to decrease the urinary concentration of EtG to fall below the LOQ of the analytic method, simply by drinking moderate to large amounts of water or any other fluid prior to voiding." Accepting that as true my only question would be how long it takes.

With this test it's possible that you could pass anyway if they are using a 500 cutoff. However, you are in a time span that I couldn't predict.

I would also point out that if the two shots contained 30% alcohol that is only 1.5 standard drinks (US) if they were 1.5 oz shots and drops to one drink if 1 oz shots. That puts you in range for clearance around 18-21 hour mark (based on 100 cutoff). Still to close to call though.

Dahl, H (2011) (p. 22)

Aug 9, 2012, 02:14 PM
    Thank you so much. I was never told if it was a 500 ng cutoff, but do you assume/think it is, given the fact that in the past I always used massive amounts of hand sanitizer (60% alcohol) and did not hold my breath while doing so, but still always passed the UA's? My P.O. literally told me I'd have to bathe in it or drink it for it affect my results, where in other circumstances I've heard of people failing from just using it sparingly. Therefore, I assume their cutoffs were 100 or 250 ng.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Small amounts of EtG are usually due to timing rather than amount. There is no way to know the cutoff without asking or seeing the printout.
    katie1978 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by worriedsick84 View Post
    thank you so much. i was never told if it was a 500 ng cutoff, but do you assume/think it is, given the fact that in the past i always used massive amounts of hand sanitizer (60% alcohol) and did not hold my breath while doing so, but still always passed the UA's? my P.O. literally told me i'd have to bathe in it or drink it for it affect my results, where in other circumstances i've heard of people failing from just using it sparingly. Therefore, I assume their cutoffs were 100 or 250 ng.
    Did you pass?

Dec 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katie1978 View Post
    Did you pass?
    Sorry for the delay, I ended up not having to take it. My p.o. let me reschedule, thank God! I don't think I would've passed though unless it's maybe 500 cutoff, not sure about the cutoff obviously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DrBill100, can I pass an EtG test 64 hours after my BAC is 0? [ 3 Answers ]

DrBill100, I am a thirty something male, average weight (84kg) and height (5'10"). I drank approximately 750ml of 11.5% abv wine over two hours on a Friday from 10am until 12 noon after having been abstinent for several months. I was randomly tested the next Monday and submitted a sample at...

DrBill100 - EtG test at 113 hours [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings DrBill100. I have appreciated your advice given to all. If my EtG test urine sample was taken 113 hours after my last drink will I pass the test? Also, is the sample affected by temperature changes when in transit?

DrBill100 - 63 hours EtG test one drink [ 1 Answers ]

I had one glass of margarita on a hot day outside (was sweating) at 4:00pm. I have an ETG test to take at 7:00AM Tuesday. The time passed would have been 63 hours. Will I have a chance of passing? Thank you for your response!

DrBill100: I have an upcoming EtG test on April 4th... [ 4 Answers ]

DrBill100: I have an upcoming EtG test on April 4th. I am a rare drinker in the first place, but this past Tuesday (March 6th), my girlfriends and I went out and I definitely drank WAY too much that night. Perhaps it's just paranoia, but I am curious if -given that I completely abstain from alcohol...

DrBill100, can I pass an EtG test 66 hours after last drink? [ 24 Answers ]

I tested exactly 66 hours and 30 minutes after finishing my last drink. I urinated about 20 minutes prior to taking the test, in order to completely clear my bladder one last time before testing. I drank approximately 20 drinks between 11 am and 9:30 pm. Never got drunk, just maintained a...

View more questions Search