Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thenitro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Live in Pa and Work in New York (taxes)
    I moved to Pa three years ago and still currently work at the same company in New York State. This company for the last three years has been taking Pa taxes out of my paystub every week. It is labeled "PA W/H." I assumed that I need to only do Pa taxes when I do my state taxes. There is not a single deduction for NY W/h on my pay stubs. I heard of the term "Reciprocity" and thought it meant that you only need to file taxes in the state that you live in and it was between Pa and New York. Actually, I found that it is between Pa and New Jersey, and other states. Worst of all this means that I have not paid New York taxes for the last 3 years. I went onto "Taxact.com" and did my federal and state taxes with them. I didn't file with them on the state because the figure for the non-resident New York amount was $1,733 and I just paid into Pa $1,600! Does this sound right? I earned about $52,000 and I feel that why should I be paying both states so much money? If this is the way it will be, then I will transfer to pa and make the same amount of money and get less state tax taken out of me by the end of the year.
    *Tomorrow I am asking my employer if they should have been deducting NY taxes out of me through the year as well as Pa.
    *Will this be a big mess for me when I report the three years that I did not file Non-resident Ny taxes? Do you have any idea of the penalties that I could face? Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Get professional tax help to straighten out your 2003 - 2005 tax returns.

PA will give you a credit for the NY state taxes paid to allow you to NOT pay twice on the same salary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in New York work in New Jersey [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I live in New York and work in New Jersey every year I loose a lot of money because my employer does not withhold ny taxes in my checks. Is there anything that can be done without hurting them? So they can start to withhold every check ny taxes also, because they take nj but do not withhold ny...

Work in New York live in New Jersey [ 4 Answers ]

I work in NY City but live in New Jersey how do I do my taxes for the state?

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

Taxes New York v New Jersey [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in New Jersey and work in New York. Would there be a tax benefit of working in NJ instead?

Employer in VA. Work in MA. Live in NH. Whom I should pay taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a contractor in MA on behalf of my employer who is based in VA. I live in NH. I receive pay check from VA based company for the work performed at their client's office in MA. I live in NH. To which state(s) I should pay taxes to?

View more questions Search