Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adianadiadi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Cannizzaro reaction or Haloform reaction?
    Aldehydes without alpha hydrogens undergo Cannizzaro reaction in strongly alkaline conditions. However trihaloaldehydes undergo haloform reaction under the same conditions. I wonder what might be the reason?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2012, 03:08 AM
    Can you say what does the alkali do in this reaction?
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Aug 1, 2012, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adianadiadi View Post
    Aldehydes without alpha hydrogens undergo Cannizzaro reaction in strongly alkaline conditions. However trihaloaldehydes undergo haloform reaction under the same conditions. I wonder what might be the reason?
    The trihalo substituent is a good leaving group and dominates further reactions progress.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rates of chemical reaction:a clock reaction? [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose you were dissolving a metal such as zinc with hydrochloric acid.how would the particle size of the zinc affect the rat eof its dissolution?

Reaction [ 1 Answers ]

what would be the difference in equation between the reaction of (copper nitrate, basic sulfide) and the reaction of (copper nitrate, acidic sulfide)? Need Ionic equation.

Consider the reaction [ 1 Answers ]

hi every one this my qustiong I hope find the answer Consider the reaction ca(oh)2(s)----->cao(s)+h2o(l) with enthalpy of reaction ΔHrxn =65kj/mol

Reaction Kinetics: Orders of Reaction. [ 2 Answers ]

I don't mean to be anal about this but I've recently stumbled upon this topic over the holidays and I'm thoroughly interested. What I fail to understand is Order's of Reactions with respect to & . Can someone give me a well concise explanation of this with a good example, say the decomposition...

View more questions Search