Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elisafra Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
    New Basement smells like gas
    We have re-finished the basement and now all of a sudden half of the large living area smells like gas. Only half of it though. The rooms adjacent to it do not. The laundry room - dryer, furnace, water heater all do not. The gas line running from the meter to the equipment including the stove in the floor above the laundry also does not. The gas company has come out 3x and said its not gas. There is an abandoned, capped low pressure gas line that runs out to the street and is located in the room where the smell is. We opened up the wall to show it to the gas company and they still insist its not it either.

I am not convinced because the morning after they shut off the gas as a precaution the first time they came out it did not smell. Then we dug up outside and opened up on the inside to reveal the low pressure line for the gas co to inspect, they ruled it out and turned the gas back on... couple hours later the smell was back. We called them back and though they smell something, they claim its not gas and their instrument also does not register it.

What gives? What do I do? I am worried.
    joey4029 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elisafra View Post
    We have re-finished the basement and now all of a sudden half of the large living area smells like gas. Only half of it though. The rooms adjacent to it do not. The laundry room - dryer, furnace, water heater all do not. The gas line running from the meter to the equipment including the stove in the floor above the the laundry also does not. The gas company has come out 3x and said its not gas. There is an abandoned, capped low pressure gas line that runs out to the street and is located in the room where the smell is. We opened up the wall to show it to the gas company and they still insist its not it either.

I am not convinced because the morning after they shut off the gas as a precaution the first time they came out it did not smell. Then we dug up outside and opened up on the inside to reveal the low pressure line for the gas co to inspect, they ruled it out and turned the gas back on...couple hours later the smell was back. We called them back and though they smell something, they claim its not gas and their instrument also does not register it.

What gives? What do I do? I am worried.
    Shut off the gas

Disconnect your side of the meter and cap it off at the meter.shut off/cap the appliances line too
    Then put a pressure gauge on the line overnight .They do this for new installations.This will prove that the line holds pressure, or not
    Call the gas company and ask what pressure you should test lines to .I would think about 12 psi ,as gas is only about 3 psi
    If the gauge shows full pressure from the day before,you can start looking for other possibilities
    Is the gas meter anywhere near the house?like next to the basement wall?
    A faulty regulator on the meter bleeding off gas once in a while(on a hot day) is possible

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement shower drain smells [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a new house and each time I go over to see it (2wks from being done) the shower in the basement STINKS very BAD, just like ROTTEN eggs, definitely a sewer smell. I am going to close on the house soon and it is about time once they finish to get the inspection. Isn't it possible they...

How to fix sewer gas smells [ 1 Answers ]

I have what smells like a sewer coming into my master bath, the other full bath or a 2 br home, as well as into the kitchen and living room. At night the smell in the living room can get over powering and the living room smell is always stronger than either of the bathrooms. I was told that it...

Gas oven smells of gas [ 1 Answers ]

I have used gas ovens before but I don't remember them smelling as strongly of gas as the one I have now. It doesn't smell like gas when it is off but when I have the oven on it smells pretty strong for most of the time that it is on. Is this normal or is replacement needed soon?

Kitchen drain smells in basement [ 17 Answers ]

The 3 inch pipe in our basement has a sewer smell ONLY when we run the dishwasher or run water down the drain from the kitchen sink one floor above. The smell is not in the kitchen, only in the basement. I does not linger in the basement, but can be overpowering when it happens. We have snaked,...

Sewer Smells and Odors in basement [ 5 Answers ]

I have been in home about 3.5 years and recently (summer) started noticing sewer smell outside near venting pipe. Shortly after, sewer odors started in basement laundry room. Had septic tank pumped and smell seemed to go away for several days, then returned. Recently plugged a washer wastepipe...

View more questions Search