Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ldydior113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
    What is the proper amount to give as a gift for a wedding?
    This is me husband's boss... boss's son is getting married... they were already married in India for her family... I have never been introduced to his son or the new wife... so to me they are acquaintances... hubby is arguing with me... we have to give $1,000... it's the boss's son... personally I don't give a hoot who he is... they are not family nor close friends...
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
    That seems like an excessive amount of money to spend!
    bllady Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2012, 05:33 PM
    If anyone gave us $1000 as a wedding gift, I would have had their baby!! $1000 is an enormously extravagant gift, especially if it were cash! If you ARE going to the wedding, and they AREN'T close friends of yours, I would say give $50- tops.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bllady View Post
    If anyone gave us $1000 as a wedding gift, I would have had their baby!!! $1000 is an enormously extravagant gift, especially if it were cash!! If you ARE going to the wedding, and they AREN'T close friends of yours, I would say give $50- tops.

Two people at a wedding and a $50 gift? What part of the Country are you in?

I think $1,000 is high - I also think it's the husband's decision because it's "his side" of the relationship.

Here - I'm in NY - the standard wedding gift is $100, for starters.

I realize it's a social event and payment for the meal isn't required or expected, but I always try to at least help the bride and groom "break even."

I do agree that handing someone cash in the amount of $1,000 doesn't seem particularly wise - checks, of course, are just as good.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Unless you are ultra rich 1000 ( at leats in US money is a lot) Now 1000 in Chinese money would be a OK gift. Or 1000 in Mexican currency
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Unless you are ultra rich 1000 ( at leats in US money is a lot) Now 1000 in Chinese money would be a ok gift. Or 1000 in Mexican currency
    I'm thinking husband's employer, husband knows the way the game is played, husband is suggesting $1,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper wedding gift for my son? [ 3 Answers ]

My son is getting married, he lives in Orlando and his fiancée wants to get married in California, I had to lay out $1,700 for hotel and airfare.What am I expected to give for a wedding gift? I wanted to give cash, but I don't know how much, since in February my husband was diagnosed with stage 4...

Etiquette for figuring wedding gift of a dollar amount. [ 8 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time arriving at the proper amount to give as a wedding gift for A friend of my son's wedding. This is NOT a relative. It's a very large wedding and My son is standing up for the groom. They have received almost all of the stuff from their registry so I spoke with...

View more questions Search