Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daugust5633 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Why no deductions from paycheck?
    I'm a new substitute teacher. I just got my first paycheck for working the last 2 weeks. My gross pay was 429.00, my net was 396.00. I had social security (OASDI) and medicare taken out. Why weren't there any federal or state taxes taken out?
    sherick11 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Hi. I would suggest checking the number of exemptions you claimed when you completed your W-4 (Form you are given by your employer when you initially start work). Maybe you are claiming too many exemptions for them to withhold any federal or state income tax. The lower the number of exemptions, the more your employer will withhold in taxes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Yes, you need to check on what your withholdings, at this level of aobut 200 a week, normally there is no withholdings because it is such a low amount.

If you want more withheld, you can do that on the forms you file with your employer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Agree with previous posters. As a substitute teacher, they cannot anticipate how often you will be paid, so they default to withholding ZERO income tax unless you tell them otherwise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No taxes taken out of paycheck [ 3 Answers ]

I just started working for a small business daycare and there are no taxes taken out, we are paid with hand-written business checks but, I was asked to fill out a w-4 for (2007) just wondering what to do or how this works at the end of the year or if I should be taking taxes out myself each pay...

No taxes taken out on a weekly paycheck [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was told. Once or twice a year that one could request for No taxes to be taken out of your weekly paycheck. True or NOT? If one could do this what is it called? How does it work? Thank you LuAnn

Paycheck Owed to me- How do I take this to court? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and thank you for reading and giving any advice. I took a temporary job from a woman who does contracts with construction companies to clean up after them. The 2 paychecks I got from her were both late and one bounced. She still owes me a 3rd paycheck of over $2,000 for over a month of...

Paycheck Tax Exempt [ 2 Answers ]

I Heard That You Can Claim Tax Exemption For A Few Paychecks A Year. Is This True? Will The Money That Is With Held During The Year Be Deducted From My Annual Tax Return?

Paycheck not paid [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a problem and I seek somebodies advice regarding. I used work for a company earlier and before working they made a deal that I need to work under them for 12 months, My job started around dec 2004. In Jan I met with an accident and I got billed around 30000 from the Hospital. I...

View more questions Search