Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RIEGLERESR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Is it illegal to use a credit card from a person who has passed away
    Even after the owner of the company I work for passed away a few months ago the genreal manager is still using his credit cards and telling us who work in the office and that answer incoming calls if calls come from a creditor or vendor just tell them he is not in the office at this time and take a message how do you give a dead guy a message.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
    You don't give a "dead guy" a message, but I'm sure you know that.

Maybe the general manager wants continuity when it comes to phone calls.

If the credit cards are in the individual's name it is illegal to use them.

If they are company credit cards in the deceased's name I don't understand why the company doesn't cancel them.

This sounds like fraud to me IF the cards are in the individual's name.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2012, 05:54 PM
    Sounds like fraud to me too.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 06:17 PM
    If the credit cards are in a corporation account, who ever took over for the corporatin can still use company cards, any card issued to the specific dead man

I worked for a company who had a "made up boss" we had a closet door with the title manager and some name. If someone came in wanting to sell or do something we always the "boss" was never there. Or if we were trying to make a deal we had to tell them we would check with the boss to see if they would approve, and then pretend to talk to a boss to OK a sale price, sometimes he would and sometimes he would not
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If the credit cards are in a corporation account, who ever took over for the corporatin can still use company cards, any card issued to the specific dead man

I worked for a company who had a "made up boss" we had a closet door with the title manager and some name. if someone came in wanting to sell or do something we always the "boss" was never there. Or if we were trying to make a deal we had to tell them we would check with the boss to see if they would approve, and then pretend to talk to a boss to ok a sale price, sometimes he would and sometimes he would not

My laugh for the day!

Jul 9, 2012, 02:00 PM
    The credit cards are not in a corporation account,the company was not taken over,yes the genreal manager was an authorized user but continued to use the cards after the primary had passed away,and the cards have the deceased name on them not the company name.Have any laws been broken and if so who would you contact,the police the credit card company who should be contacted

Jul 9, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RIEGLERESR View Post
    The credit cards are not in a corporation account,the company was not taken over,yes the genreal manager was an authorized user but continued to use the cards after the primary had passed away,and the cards have the deceased name on them not the company name.Have any laws been broken and if so who would you contact,the police the credit card company who should be contacted.
    I really trusted and believed my manager was a decent person wrong again
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RIEGLERESR View Post
    I really trusted and belived my manager was a decent person wrong again

This is a side issue - it's fraud. If you feel like getting involved notify both the credit card company and the Police (they will probably tell you to notify the cc company).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased person credit card [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfried just passed away 2/13/2009.. he has credit cards and his mother took his american express charged his death notice on it paid her cable bill and her medication with it I feel this is wrong! She wants to pay the bill with his last paycheck pretty pathetic my boyfriend is gone and he is...

Credit card charges made by another person [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, Wondering if anyone might be able to provide a little insight on this situation... While my ex and I were together, I had a credit card and added him as a user to the account (but the card was under my name). The day after we broke up, he goes and charges thousands to my card before...

My Mother passed away with credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

My mother recently passed away with 2 credit cards that she owed around 12k on, I have closed both accounts, there is no money to pay these debts, we have not taken the will to probate yet, but the credit card companies want to know how we will pay for them. Everything my dad and her have is owed...

I am an authorized user on a credit card - primary passed away [ 3 Answers ]

I am an authorized user on a couple of credit cards that my mother in law took out. She recently passed away, am I responsible for the debt? I was paying on them and with the economy going the way it has, I haven't been able to continue to pay. Also, my mother in law had no will or estate. She...

Father passed with outstanding credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed away in December. We have come to realize he had 3 credit cards with balances totaling about $20,000. We live in Louisiana, which is a community property state. My dad did not have a will and as far as any estate, would be the townhouse he lived in with my mother. Is my mom...

View more questions Search