Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackofspeed39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 01:32 PM
    What can a judgement take from me?
    In NY state how hard is it for a (3 yr old cred card debts totalling 30k) unsecured creditor to get a judgement for a toy you own outright like a boat or motorcycle? Can they touch it if there is 2 owners? Or a mechinics lean on it? Or will they put a lean on my home first? My only income is ss thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 01:35 PM
    They will normally look for money in bank accounts, but will often look for a lien on a home next if possible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2012, 01:36 PM
    It depends on how serious the creditor is. Most likely they cannot go after your primary residence. That is usually protected against unsecured debt. The most that can happen is attaching a LIEN against it which you only have to deal with when you sell. However, if there is significant value in a boat or motorcycle those are luxury items and would be fair game. Doesn't matter if there are co-owners as long as you are an owner it is attachable for your debts.
    jackofspeed39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    It depends on how serious the creditor is. Most likely they cannot go after your primary residence. That is usually protected against unsecured debt. The most that can happen is attaching a LIEN against it which you only have to deal with when you sell. However, if there is significant value in a boat or motorcycle those are luxury items and would be fair game. Doesn't matter if there are co-owners as long as you are an owner it is attachable for your debts.
    Scott, that helps a lot but Do you think that they would attach to the home rather than the 10,000 toy? Thank you So much Scott ; )
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Again, primary residences are generally protected from unsecured debt!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a law firm collect on a judgement if I am already paying on another judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement with Citibank that I am curently making payments on. Capital One just obtained a judgement against me. I have a wage hearing with the judge in a few weeks. Can Capital one collect on this judgement since I am already paying on one already?

Judgement by default, now trying to enforce judgement [ 2 Answers ]

Received a judgement by default... by cavalry portfolio... a debt collector service. Now they had a sheriff show up at my home due to a levy, and theyb assessed my assests. Can they do that?

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

View more questions Search