Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anxiousday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 02:31 PM
    How long does a Landlord have to sue a former tenant (in Ontario, Canada)?
    I believe the Ontario Tribunal has a limit of one year from the incident to take action through the tribunal... is this correct?

Regarding a civil suit... how long does a landlord have to sue a former tenant for damage in the landlord's home? If the tenant was not evicted, but moved out himself (and was never in arrers of rent, paid on time) and the landlord alleges to have discovered some damage to paint, and an overflown toilet that caused some damage to the basement drywall? How long does a landlord have to do a civil lawsuit against the former tenant? From the Ontario statute of limitations, for civil suits, I can see 2 years is the limit. Does this apply with a landlord? Or must the landlord go through the rental housing tribunal?

Thanks for your help!
    anxiousday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Oops forgot to add: What if the landlord has no forwarding address for the former tenant? Does he automatically win the lawsuit if he files it within the limitations period? Or does the tenant have to be there to defend himself?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long is the staue of limitations on a purchase of a house in ontario canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a home one week ago. I have a problem with the drains in the basement.I did have a home inspector inspect prior to purchasing this home. I had a plumber come in to examine the problem, he reported to me his opinion but did no work on the problem. It appears the laundry drain goes to a...

Landlord Tenant Law on Long Island [ 2 Answers ]

My garden apartment complex was built in 1984 and the carpet has not been changed since(24 years) , Is there a law that makes it mandatory for a management to change the carpets?

Landlord to sue former attorney who was tenant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 family and had a tenant that wanted to break a lease. I sent a letter in writing that when I new tenant was found we could break the lease.It was winter in NE, so it took a while. Tenant moved out, and kept stuff in the house for a month, while they moved to another place. They moved out...

Ontario - Tenant/Landlord [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. It was nice to come upon your site. I have a question that I would like to ask of you all. My husband is the Superintendent of a building. We have a tenant who has a lengthy criminal record and is also registered with the Canadain Mental Health Association. He was currently charged with...

View more questions Search