Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saibaba123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Tax help for opt students
    I am a contractor on OPT and have been in the US for less than 5 years. My country of citizenship is India.

My employer has deducted FICA and CA Dis from my pay. I know that I need not pay these taxes as I am on OPT - can I ask for a refund now or wait till I file my taxes next year ?

Do I need to pay CA Dis also ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 03:38 PM
    You must pay the California disability.

Ask your employer to Refund the FICA tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much tax I have to deduct for OPT students [ 1 Answers ]

How much tax I have to deduct for OPT students. Also, Is the employer will deduct taxes and give it to me or I have to pay if the employer did not deduct it.

Federal tax percentage and md state tax for opt students [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am F-1 visa student, currently on OPT working in Maryland. My total income for an year is $48,000. I would like to know tax percentage for opt students on both federal and state tax(MD). Should I have to pay for ssn and medicare. Please let me know. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Tax Refund for F-1 students on OPT [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am an F-1 visa student from Indonesia and I'm currently on my OPT. My friend once told me that I am qualified to get the full refund for both social security and medicare taxes that were deducted from my paycheck. He also just told me few hours ago that I am also qualified to get the...

Payroll Tax for OPT students [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What are the payroll taxes for OPT students? Is it same like citizens and H1B Visa holders. Thx, VMR

Income Tax for Students on OPT [ 12 Answers ]

I am an Indian Masters Graduate, currently working on OPT. I would like to Know what is the percentage of tax( in California) while working on OPT. and Say if I am given 10,000 USD taxable amount from the company, How much will I receive in hand after applying California taxes. Thanks, Nitin.

View more questions Search