Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freberd Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Need to plumb bathroom in concrete slab
    We are having a pole garage built in Washington state and we need to put sewer pipes in the ground before they pour the concrete slab. We want a bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) and on the other side of the wall a utility sink.

What size pipe should we use? We are open to layout of fixtures any setup better than another? Can you vent outside wall then up? Is it OK not to have access to pea trap? Should we build a box around pipe or pour concrete around it?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!:p
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 2, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by freberd
    We are having a pole garage built in Washington state and we need to put sewer pipes in the ground before they pour the concrete slab. We want a bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) and on the other side of the wall a utility sink.

What size pipe should we use? We are open to layout of fixtures any setup better than another? Can you vent outside wall then up? Is it ok not to have access to pea trap? should we build a box around pipe or pour concrete around it?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!:p
    Need more data. I take it the pole construction is rectangular for a one or two car garage with living above? Is the pole construction remaining open walls between poles at garage level? If so describe how the upper floor is going to be supported on the poles for subfloor and joist hanging. (i.e. belly band rim joist on outside or inside of poles)

Mar 2, 2007, 12:21 PM
    The bathroom will be on the main floor. The garage will be 36 x30. Bathroom will be in far corner.

Thanks!

Mar 2, 2007, 01:47 PM
    The bathroom will be on the main floor. The garage will be 36 x30. Bathroom will be in far corner.

Thanks!
    Good, that is a start. May I suggest that to establish where the rough-in stub ups and vent stacks are going to be located, determine the wall line first. Then from there you can basically go into a residential bathroom to see where to place each fixture and where the rough-in stubs will be in your construction layout. (I.e. A toilet rough-in WC flange is 12 inches from the finished wall while the 2" vent stack will be centered in the wall on line with the flange. Gotta know where the framing walls are, outside the pole exterior or inside the pole interior, or centered between the poles. Define your framing first then do your plumbing slab rough install to the 3" DWV ABS drain pipes. Also do a pipe drawing takeoff for both materials cost and purchase. (or hire a plumber to do the rough.) It is advisable to keep the plumbing Drain Waste and Vent inside the structure walls as you would electrical wiring too. Have a good day.

Mar 2, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Can you vent outside then up? So we don't have drill a hole in the roof it it is really high 14 ft walls

Mar 2, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Can you vent outside then up? so we dont have drill a hole in the roof it it is really high 14 ft walls
    Is this going to be inspected?

Mar 2, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Yes

Mar 2, 2007, 04:29 PM
    yes
    UPC may be adopted and require inwall vent to roof. Check local building department.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak Under Concrete Slab [ 3 Answers ]

I found out that I have a water leak under my slab floor. Apparantely the leak is between the shutoff out in the yard and the meter(which is located in the hallway utility closet). I hear water gurgling in my ductwork which is also in the slab. Called local plumber and he says I'm looking at...

Concrete slab on mud [ 2 Answers ]

Last week I had a local concrete company form and pour a monolithioc slab for a garage. The ground was soft top soil and I was concerned about it being soft. It did later compact an was very hard, but then it rained and was a big soupy mess. They came on out and covered it with plastic and poured...

Pouring concrete slab outside garage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am replacing my garage door with a wall and 36" wide steel door to make it a main entrance to the house in the winter and also into a workshop area. It has been recommended that I pour a concrete slab across the front of the garage for the wall to sit on and have that slab just high...

Shower p-trap - concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I have already poured a 6 inch thick concrete slab for a shop floor. During the slab construction a 3 inch pvc rough stubbed drain was put in the concrete to act as the shower drain (from the shower to the septic tank line). I realized after the fact that no p-trap was placed within the slab; only...

Fernco under slab - sround with Concrete? [ 1 Answers ]

I bathroom addition to the basement quickly progressed to replacing all the sewer lines. I have used 4" PVC and a fernco where I tied in to the 4" CI right before it goes through the footer and out to the street. Someone gave me the advice that I should use concrete and in case the fernco...

View more questions Search