Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 29, 2012, 02:18 PM
    Can’t ever imagine my life without a dog (by JudyKayTee)
    First published: June 5, 2012

My love for animals is inherited. I was raised by my mother and maternal grandparents (with assistance from my aunt and uncle) until my father came home from the Army. My grandmother, who came to the US from Austria when she was 14, often spoke of the farm she left behind, the animals she had cared for and loved, her mother’s ability to treat the farm animals when they were sick or injured. My grandparents had a dachshund named Sarge, and he’s in almost every photo of me when I was a child.

My father was coming home on leave, and the entire family was trying to get me to say my first word, with absolutely no success. My mother desperately wanted me to say “Daddy.” I said nothing. My father came home, picked me up, I looked at him, I looked at my mother, and I said my first word. “Sarge.”

We always had a dog when I was growing up, and I’ve had dogs my entire adult life, always two, sometimes three at a time. They have all been rescues, unwanted or unloved, in need of a permanent, secure home. They’ve all given me far more than I’ve given them.

I remember the stages of my life by the dogs I had – college, my first job, my first apartment, my first love. I traveled for the Government, and my dogs went with me. They also ended more than one relationship. If they didn’t like someone, I figured they had astute dog judgment and/or dog psychic powers – and I ended the relationship.

I’ve loved my dogs as they’ve come into my life, and I’ve mourned them when they left me. I’ve had smart dogs and not-so-smart dogs. They’ve all been memorable for one reason or another. Andi could climb chain link fences, Lucky could open the refrigerator, Brandy could jump as high as my head, Sam was a Lab who didn’t like water, Cassie ran through the screen for the sliding door – three times. And the list goes on.

I enjoy the companionship of my dogs as much as I love anything about them. There’s something special about coming home when life is unfair or harsh and having them waiting on the other side of the door.

There is much to be learned from dogs – they don’t judge. In fact, they don’t care. They forgive, they don’t harbor resentment, they accept “it is what it is.” They grieve, but they know life goes on. They don’t worry about tomorrow or, for that matter, two minutes from now. They have flexible schedules (dogs don’t have day planners and don’t need to check with “their people”) and enjoy anything and everything. A ride in the car? Great idea, even if it’s only to the vet’s office.

I can’t ever imagine my life without a dog.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend killed himself while on the phone to me I can't imagine getting over it [ 12 Answers ]

I have known my boyfriend for 2 years and 3 months but have been with him for one year and 3 months. I always knew he had a temper from day one but thought nothing of it. We were so crazy in love it was insane. I was on a gap year and was so alone are he was there for me we spent every night and...

I can't imagine moving on. I cannot accept anyone else as a partner. What to do? [ 5 Answers ]

He was leaving the country when we realized we were in love after being close for 1.5 years. We were fine in the 1.5 years long distance relationship later, when he started to change. He became a devotee in ISKCON* and started behaving like I was mere obligation in his life.. It was after a very...

My secret world (by Imagine) cheats [ 0 Answers ]

I have a game called 'my secret world' which is made by imagine. I have had the game for 3 or 4 weeks now and I want to unlock that bit of the game where, after you go on 'share ds' you can 'Test As... '. At the moment it is still locked on my game. Also I can't get on the little 'Test' option when...

Imagine This Image at Times Square [ 38 Answers ]

I am so speechless, I do not know what to say...

View more questions Search

Question Tools

Add your answer here.