Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paigereader Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 01:39 PM
    Adopting in Florida when parents want to terminate rights
    We know a young lady who has said she wants to terminate her parental rights and have her 14 month old child put up for adoption. However, she has a particular person in mind to adopt her child. We live in Florida and I've always thought you have to have a home study and go through a lot of hoops. Is an adoption this simple or easy?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 03:21 AM
    Both should have attorneys to guide them through the legal aspects of private adoption. It isn't just putting the baby out there and saying you have someone who you like. It doesn't work that way.

What a shame the little one has to be treated this way.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2012, 05:25 AM
    An adoption has to be approved by a court of law. That doesn't mean, however, that the bio parents can't choose who the adoptive parents will be. But the adoption still has to go through a court and the court may demand home study and other qualifications.

As noted, both parties need legal representation.

There are lots of questions here, like where is the father? The father needs to be consulted. The young lady will only be allowed to terminate her rights as part of an adoption. .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
    In private adoptions it works this way all the time, both the babies mother and father have to sign for the adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoptive parents want to voluntarily terminate their parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Our 16y/o adopted daughter is adjudicated unruly and classified as a dependent child. She is in foster care with no chance of returning to live in our home as she has many behavior issues that we are not equipped to handle. We are being charged high child support fees including 100% medical...

Adopting when parents won't terminate rights [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I would like to get custody of his 11yr old brother. We are both 22 with three kids of our own. Young, I know, but we know we could provide him with stability, moral guidance, and love. His parents (my husband and him share the same mother) have been in and out of jail, homeless,...

Rights we have as Adopting Parents [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: The birhtmom contacted us to adopt her child when she was 15 weeks pregnant. The birthfather went to the first doctors visit with her and that was it. We carried her the rest of the time to the doctors visits as well as the hospital ( she was in the hospital 17 times before he was ever...

View more questions Search