Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amerchan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 09:43 AM
    F1 Visa:NY Return:Filing joint or separate?
    I am claiming my dependent on 1040NR and I am checking the box "Married Resident of Canada". What does this imply on my NY return then as there is no such option? Is it filing separately or jointly? There is no option on 1040NR that states married filing joint return or married filing separately so what am I in regards to the NY return? Please help. Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Disregard my answer to the other post! I mis-read it.

On the NY state return, you must file Married Filing Separately, because you cannot file jointly as a non-resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was on L1 visa want to file joint return. I want to apply for ITIN for spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I was in US(california) from march 2006 - jan 2007 on L1. My wife and kid were on L2. They don't have SSN (I think now its possible to get ssn on L2 ). Now I am back in India and want to file my return with both of them as my dependent. So I think I will have to file W7 for both of them to get...

L1 visa and filing tax return for the first time [ 3 Answers ]

I came to US on my L1 on Mar 2005 and returned back July 2005. Came back to US again on the same L1 visa on 1st Jan 06 and in US till date. I need to file my tax return for the first time in US. I have few clarifications. They are as follows. Tax experts, please help me. 1) Am I a resident...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents). Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids). I received my...

File separate or joint? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of filing married-jointly and married-seperate? Not sure which I should do... GOt married in July. Husband is going to school, worked from Jan till May, not working now, just graduated this December. Im working full time, no children, pregnant with...

View more questions Search