Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bearandfox Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
    Deciding on breed
    Hi! I am looking into getting a new puppy, but am having a hard time deciding on a breed right for me and my family. I want a larger breed, about the size of a Golden Retriever. I would like a dog who is playful and happy, but also would snuggle with me at night. I want a dog who is loyal. I would like a dog who has little grooming requirements. Brushing is fine, but not going to the groomer's often. I don't need the dog to be protective unless there is an emergency. I don't want a really vocal breed. Some barking is Ok, but generally, he doesn't bark furiously unless something is wrong. I have a fairly large yard, 35 acres. My yard is fenced in all the way. I would like a dog that is good with strangers, kids, other dogs, and other pets. This is my first dog, so a breed that is better for beginners would be great. I want a fairly healthy breed, living about 12-15.

If you could give me any suggestions, I would like it very much.
    Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Kids or no kids?
    What breeds have you considered already?
    Have you considered adopting a shelter pet?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Have you ever owned a dog before? I gather you've never lived with a dog?

What you have described is the ideal dog but they aren't born knowing when to bark and when not to bark, when to protect and when not to protect.

How much time and energy and money - if you need to consult with a trainer - do you intend to invest? Who will be home with the dog during the day? In-house dog (I gather) or outside dog? Kennel or no kennel?

Can you afford vet bills, shots, pet sitting or boarding if you go away? My GSD has an ear infection (again!), and today's bill for flushing and cleaning was $140. She goes back again in 10 days and again 10 days after that. My Gordon Setter died 3 months ago - her Vet bills were over $3,000 - and I lost her anyway. I also lost a chunk of my heart but...

I've had dogs all my life - I have a puppy, Rott/Shepherd mix. He's a handful. We are going to Puppy Training classes. I have an older GSD, sweetest dog in the World, never needed an expert or a class.

Me? I rescue. All of my dogs have been rescues - "why buy when others die?"

They are all different.

One-third acre is not a lot of land for a large breed dog.

I'm not being discouraging. I am being realistic. If you take a close look at this and decide to proceed there will be one VERY lucky dog in this World!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Dalmatians are good beginner dogs.

If you're a very active person, the German shorthaired pointer is good also.

Avoid any type of dog that has pit in it. Although I love te breed and they are fantastic with kids, they're not good beginner dogs.

Labs are fantastic family dogs. Moderate grooming needs.

Weimeriners are good... Vizslas as well

Honestly, any of the hunting breeds make good family pets. They were designed to be good with families and kids. You just need to make darn sure you meet their energy needs.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 07:24 PM
    One warning about Dalmatians, and no offense Lucky. One genetic defect highly present in Dalmatians is deafness. They are beautiful dogs, but many of them have this defect and will end up being deaf. Not something most people can deal with easily, especially a newbie dog owner.

Labs are great. They're family dogs, bigger breed, little to no grooming (a brushing once a week and a bath when they get dirty). Labs live to please, love kids. They do need exercise, but are just as happy to sit at your feet by the fire.

The first year with a lab is the hardest. Actually, that's true of any dog. Puppies are adorable, but they're a pain in the... well, they're puppies. Dog love them.

If you're not very familiar with dogs, especially puppies, I would consider an older rescue dog. There are literally 4 lab crosses in my shelter as we speak, all under 2 years of age. They're spayed or neutered, house trained, have all their shots, and that's ideal for a novice dog owner.

Jun 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
    Thank you for your imputs. I have been considering a Golden Retriever, a German Shepherd, and a Lab, but am totally open to any other breeds.

There are four kids in this house (9, 10, 16, 18) but one is moving to college.

I live across from a lake, so a dog that likes to swim would be OK.

Thanks again for your help! Keep it coming!
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
    If you want a dog that loves to swim, I'd definitely go for the lab. Labs actually have webbed toes, they're born to swim, and love it.

Have you researched any of these breeds?

Golden retrievers are also a great family pet. But, you did say that you wanted something with minimal grooming. That's not what you'll get with a Golden. German Shepherds are also beautiful loyal dogs, but they're not a dog I would recommend to a novice owner.

I really think your best bet would be a lab.
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
    One more question.

Have you considered a rescue dog?

If you have, and would like some help finding a dog that would fit into your family, if you post your general area (no address, just the state you live in), I will be more than happy to help you search for a rescue shelter in your area, and help you find a dog that will fit into your family.

There are also breed specific shelters all over the world. So, once you choose a breed, finding a rescue dog is not hard at all.

Puppies aren't easy, no matter what breed you get.

I myself have always had dogs. I've had a dachshund, heinz 57 (only God knows what was in that mix), a poodle, lab/border collie cross, border collie crossed with pi$$ and vinegar, beagle (most stubborn dog on the planet, and still with us), and our newest baby, a 4 month old border collie, lab, and Dog knows what else cross.

I have to say, the easiest dog by far, and we first met him when he was only a few weeks old, and brought him home at 12 weeks of age, was our lab cross. He passed away only 6 months ago at the ripe old age of 16. Easiest dog I've ever had. :)
    loz1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
    Its not about the breed of the dog it simply boils down to how the dog is raise and how well disciplined it is. I have had lots of dogs my favourite being Staffordshire bull terriers. Despite the media making them out to be viscous animals.

I can tell you they aren't and I have 3 at the moment and have been brought up with them since I was 8 years old with younger sibling. They are very loving, loyal dogs which in my opinion are excellent people dogs.

They are good with children hence the reason they are called "children's nanny's" as they used to lie on the children's feet to keep them warm in the early 1900's.

They don't need to be groomed very much and they are the cutest of pups. They also require some form of exercise so your 35 acres will come in handy as they are working dogs so like to do loads of running.

So with a lot of love and discipline you will not regret buying one of these dogs. No matter what breed of dog you get it is hard work as they are practically like having another baby around.

Good luck and happy dog hunting.
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 08:22 PM
    Its not about the breed of the dog it simply boils down to how the dog is raise and how well disciplined it is.
    I agree and disagree with this.

Yes, a dog is only as good as its owner. But, there are breeds that aren't for a novice owner. I have a beagle. I would never recommend a beagle to a first time owner. They're great dogs, but they need an experienced hand, they need someone that knows dogs.

The poster of this questions has never owned a dog before. That's something that really has to be taken into consideration. He needs a breed that's easy to train, easy to handle, good with kids.

Jun 27, 2012, 08:39 PM
    Thank you so much, you. I am leaning to a lab. They just seem so great. I have heard that they shed quite a bit. Is this true?

While it is true, the dog's personality parcially depends on how you bring it up, certain dogs are bred to do certain things, which can effect their personality. Take German Shepherds for example. They are looked opon as aggressive dogs. They are used as police dogs. They are protective, it's true, but with the right training, a German Shepherd is a great dog.

Once again,
    Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearandfox View Post
    Thank you so much, ya'll. I am leaning to a lab. They just seem so great. I have heard that they shed quite a bit. Is this true?

While it is true, the dog's personality parcially depends on how you bring it up, certain dogs are bred to do certain things, which can effect their personality. Take German Shepherds for example. They are looked upon as agressive dogs. They are used as police dogs. They are protective, it's true, but with the right training, a German Shepherd is a great dog.

Once again,
    Thanks!
    Please ignore Todds post. I've reported him to the mods, I'm sure he will be banned shortly. We don't tolerate trolls on this site. Hopefully when you read this, Todd's post will already be deleted.

I love German Shepherds, I think they're a beautiful breed. But, and this is a big but, I have been bitten only a few times in my life by dogs. Each time it's been by a German Shepherd. I've never ever been bitten by any other breed.

Also, a friend of my mother had a German Shepherd, and kids. When her daughter grew up and moved out, the GSD didn't take it well. They are very possessive of their families. The daughter had a baby. She came home to visit one day. It was a nice day, so she put the baby in her stroller, left the stroller on the deck in the yard so the baby could get some vitamin D. The GSD killed the baby. Took her out of her stroller and tore her to shreds. :(

German Shepherds are very protective, and they do not handle change well. I would not recommend a GSD for a novice owner.

Jun 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Please ignore Todds post. I've reported him to the mods, I'm sure he will be banned shortly. We don't tolerate trolls on this site. Hopefully when you read this, Todd's post will already be deleted.

I love German Shepherds, I think they're a beautiful breed. But, and this is a big but, I have been bitten only a few times in my life by dogs. Each time it's been by a German Shepherd. I've never ever been bitten by any other breed.

Also, a friend of my mother had a German Shepherd, and kids. When her daughter grew up and moved out, the GSD didn't take it well. They are very possessive of their families. The daughter had a baby. She came home to visit one day. It was a nice day, so she put the baby in her stroller, left the stroller on the deck in the yard so the baby could get some vitamin D. The GSD killed the baby. Took her out of her stroller and tore her to shreds. :(

German Shepherds are very protective, and they do not handle change well. I would not recommend a GSD for a novice owner.
    Oh my goodness! What a horrible story! Well, it is partly the mother's fault. You should never leave a baby alone with a dog but esspecially not a German Shepherd. In my experience with German Shepherds, they are very nice dogs. But not all dogs are nice...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Would you consider a Standard Poodle? They cover pretty well all bases you have described.

They don't have to be in fru-fru frilly trims, my poodles are just clipped off short all over. They are a great breed, very loving and loyal. They are active, yet just as happy to be a couch potato if you are having a lazy day.
    The only downside is grooming, but a clip every 6 weeks is all you need and you can learn to do that yourself.
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearandfox View Post
    Oh my goodness! What a horrible story! Well, it is partly the mother's fault. You should never leave a baby alone with a dog but esspecially not a German Shepherd. In my experience with German Shepherds, they are very nice dogs. But not all dogs are nice......
    I have to say, the other ones, the ones I was bitten by, I knew very well, and they had great owners, and were very well trained.

The first one was name Sarge. He was owned by the guy that owned the campsite we went to every weekend in the summer since I was 4.

That person also owned Sarge's mother, Amber.

I ran through the woods with these two dogs. I grew up with them. Every night when we were there, the would come to sit at our campsite. The would sleep under our trailer.

Then Amber died. After that Sarge was not the same dog. He not only bit me, but my dad, and he killed a dog that belonged to someone camping at the camp site.

After that Jim, the owner, had to put Sarge down, country style (back woods with a shotgun). :(

The other GSD belonged to a friend. In fact, it was the friend that owned the mom and dad of our lab cross puppy Indy. Marble (that was the name of the GSD), was a great dog.

Our friend owns a gas station, and that's where the dogs were kept. It's a gas station in the middle of nowhere. Acreage, trees everywhere, not a lot of people coming through. Marble had his own little haven. A dog house, a large area to run around, but he did have to be tied up during the day, there was a major highway not far from the station, and Marble had a tendency to run to it.

Our friend went out of town for a few days, left the staff in charge of the dogs. We decided to pop by to check on things. I went up to Marble, like I always did. He was happy to see me, tail wagging. When I got up to him, he suddenly turned aggressive and bit me, drew blood.

Even after that incident I still adored Marble, and never had another incident with him.

I love the breed, but I have to say, even as an experienced dog owner, I will never ever own a GSD. I respect those that do, and I'm not afraid of the breed, despite my experiences, but I don't trust them enough to own one.
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Would you consider a Standard Poodle? They cover pretty well all bases you have described.

They don't have to be in fru-fru frilly trims, my poodles are just clipped off short all over. They are a great breed, very loving and loyal. They are active, yet just as happy to be a couch potato if you are having a lazy day.
    The only downside is grooming, but a clip every 6 weeks is all you need and you can learn to do that yourself.
    I have to say, I loved my poodle. I didn't have a standard, just a miniature. But he was a great dog.

Poodles are also bred to swim, so if the OP wants a dog that loves water, they're a great breed. :)

But, the hair is a little bit more maintenance then a lab. Just saying. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I have to say, I loved my poodle. I didn't have a standard, just a miniature. But he was a great dog.

Poodles are also bred to swim, so if the OP wants a dog that loves water, they're a great breed. :)

But, the hair is a little bit more maintenance then a lab. Just sayin. :)
    True, but no hair on your couch and clothes with a poodle ;)
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    True, but no hair on your couch and clothes with a poodle ;)
    So true. But, I have to say, I didn't really have that issue with Indy, our lab cross.

Labs tend to shed two times a year. The rest of the time it's not that big a deal. A little bit of shedding but no maintenance, other then two times a year. A good brushing, or a trip to a groomer, is all that's needed.

With a poodle we're talking a lot of grooming. If you can't do it yourself, you'll need to take the dog to the groomer at least every 6 weeks.

But they are very smart, quick to learn (well, most of them ;)).

Jun 27, 2012, 10:27 PM
    I have a question about labs. Do they bloat? That is a major concern for me. I know many big dogs bloat, so I was just wondering. If labs do bloat, what are good ways to prevent it?

Thanks again!

-BearAndFox
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by toddsterx View Post
    Standard poodles are larege dogs. They can be stuffed when they die. My cousin stuffed his and took it to a glass place and had her made into an aquarium. It is very cool! I love poodles. Chihuahuas can be good also but only for 1 or 2 fish.
    Todd, you're not welcome here. Just keep your idiotic thoughts to yourself.

If you want to stir the pot, be a troll, then find a site that welcomes that type of behavior. We don't welcome it here.

I've reported you over and over again. As soon as a mod comes online, I'm sure you'll be banned and all your posts will be deleted.

If you actually have something to contribute, other then bull, then you're more than welcome to stick around. Keep posting the crap you've been posting and you won't be given a choice.

You may think you're funny, but let me assure you, you're not at all amusing. You're nothing but a troll. It gets old fast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog breed debate. Purebred or Designer breed? [ 20 Answers ]

Since this debate started in another thread, I thought I'd start a new thread to allow members to continue discussing this topic, without continuing to hijack another thread. :) The debate on what makes a dog purebred has been going on for a long time. I'm not the best to explain this, but I'll...

I'm having trouble deciding! [ 2 Answers ]

C there is this guy I think is cute but I don't have a crush on him... so should I ask hm out any way:confused:

Help deciding [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a hard time figuring out what software to use. Can someone please suggest a really good anti-virus software for PC please? Thank you

Help on deciding [ 4 Answers ]

Ok well I want to get an apple but am unsure as to the disadvantages. I have read the entire discussion fourom but still have some questions. Is there a version of Photoshop for the Powerbook G5? Laso, downloading files from the internet. If I went to a site like www.download.com could I get any...

View more questions Search