Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askedwin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Dryer not heating
    How do we fix our problem of dryer not heating?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2012, 11:47 AM
    You need to have someone trouble shoot the issue. Could be a tripped breaker, bad highlimit switch, bad cordset and many other items.
    wop48 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by askedwin View Post
    how do we fix our problem of dryer not heating?
    The first thing too check before looking at electrical problems is make sure your lint trap is clean and the pipe which goes from your dryer too outside could be plugged with lint. You may actually be getting heat but if the dryer is plugged up the air and humidity have no where to go and will stay in the drum leaving your clothes wet.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Most likely it is dirty and lint deposits have built up, as it always does, in all the air ducts which will cause the main safety to blow.[B]You need a multi-meter to find which safety has blown or if the element is bad, but you can look at it and see if it is burned in two, just check the fuses on each end.[B] You will have to take it all apart and clean the drier out thoroughly or it is all for nothing. Every air duct will have to be removed and scraped and washed out to remove baked on lint deposits which bakes on like a concrete lining. This will burn so the manufacturer has installed the safeties to keep from having a house fire. The safeties are oval-shaped with a round center part containing the safety with two plug-on terminals for the wires and when they burn open, from the dryer being dirty, nothing will work or it will not heat. Using an ohm meter you put a lead on each terminal of the safety, with one wire unplugged, and if it is good you will have a reading of about zero; if it is bad it will read infinity. Driers were the number one cause of fires at one time, hence now we have safety fuses. Look at: How to clean your clothes dryer. How to make it hot again. - YouTube to see how. Also look at these to get an idea about how to clean it: Mr. Appliance Tips: How to Clean Your Dryer - YouTube ; Cleaning a Dryer Vent and Lint Trap - YouTube
    Electric Clothes Dryers Dryer vent cleaning prevents fires - YouTube and: Cleaning out a dryer with top lint cleanout - YouTube
    Cleaning out a dryer: By a woman 2 of 2 - YouTube
    When you finish cleaning the drier it is best to also replace the belt, too, because you do not want to have to disassemble it all over again and if the belt is over two years old you should replace it.

Note that on most of the videos it does not show them washing out the parts, but this is important because it's the only way to really get the parts clean, just don't get motor wet or the capacitor if it has one. Vacuum out the motor to remove all dust. I would move the drier out to your garage to have plenty of space to work. You also want to check your vent and clean it, also. The vent should have a short run and be straight as possible. The job is really easier than it sounds. There is no shortcut that will work; it has to be cleaned well. Before you re-assemble it make sure to use white lithium grease (high-temp grease) and grease all bearings. Just vacuuming out the dryer a little does little good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer Help: Dryer works fine and turns on fine but will stop heating after 1-2 minute [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a Frigidaire Electric Dryer Model GLEQ215ESO. My dryer had a bad bearing and heating coil so I replace it about 6 months ago. It was working perfect up until a week ago when my cloth wasn't drying. I took a look at it and it seems to work fine for the first 2 minutes of use and then...

Dryer not heating. Thermostats and heating element OK.what else to check? [ 5 Answers ]

I had a heating problem. Replaced broken coil. Checked all thermostats.everything has continuity. All was working fine. But today dryer stopped heating again. All still check OK for continuity. What else to check?

Maytag neptune dryer, MDG6700aww, barely heating. Dryer is only a few months old. [ 6 Answers ]

Maytag neptune, MDG6700aww, is barely even getting luke warm when drying clothes. I have tried changing the temperature and cycle settings and it doesn't make a difference. When I first put the dryer in it worked fine, now in the past month its not even getting "warm". It's a gas dryer.

Dryer is over heating, what do I do? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter dropped a rock into the lint trap as I was emptying it out. We cannot reach the rock, and don't believe that it has blown out. Now the dryer is overheating. There is some air coming our of the vent, but we cannot feel any suction when you place your hand over the lint filter (while...

View more questions Search