Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pvw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
    Tax rate for OPT student in California
    Hello,

I am a Contractor working in California and want to know how much my tax rate should be, since I am on OPT. How much federal tax (%) and State Income Tax (%) should I pay monthly if I earn about $30/hr considering 40hrs/week.
    Please provide breakdown if possible.

Thanks,
    Whabi
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Whabi:

You have no self-employment tax requirement, so your $60K+ annual salary will result in an annual FEDERAL tax bill of about $9,150.

Your California tax bill will be about $4,500, so you need to have $13,700 in the bank next January to pay your tax bill.

This assumes NO deductible expenses on the Schedule C you will have to file with the Form 1040NR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California tax on OPT [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the US from Jan 2007 (was on F1 visa) and graduated this Spring (May) 2009 and currently on OPT visa. I will start to work for a small firm in N. California from July 2009 and want to know the tax cuts. I am not sure if its going to help but I moved from Dallas, TX. Lets...

Indian student on OPT in California [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm an Indian student on OPT. My pay is 75,000 per year. I'm single. This is the pay slip for 2 weeks. Gross pay: 3,125.00 Standard Deductions: ----------------------------------------- Federal Income: -514.27 Social Security: -131.25 Medicare: ...

I am OPT Student (Indian) who works in California. I would like to know my returns [ 5 Answers ]

I have a federal Income tax withheld amount of 1185.16 3059.14 (two different companies I worked for in California). I also have a State withheld of 335.22 960.34. Can someone help me figure out what my returns would be on federal and state

Tax credit and F1 Student on OPT (Resident for Tax Purposes) [ 3 Answers ]

Got a 1098-T for 2010 Tax year (when I was considered non-resident for tax purposes) but that amount was paid in 2011 (when I am considered resident). Since Educational credit can only be taken when its actually paid, can I take the American Opp. Credit in 2011 since I am a resident and I paid the...

State tax (maryland),fedral tax,OPT(F1-student visa)on the rate of $30 an hour [ 7 Answers ]

Hi experts. I am an OTP (F1 visa-student) My salary is $30 per hour (I can work 40 hours a week - full time) . Can anybody please tell me the State tax for Maryland and Fedral tax applicable on the rate of $30 an Hour. Please text me if you need more information. This foram is awesome....

View more questions Search