Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missaprilla Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
    External Hard Drive
    I am using an Inspiron 1525, Vista. When I plug in external hard drive "My Passport" drive E, I cannot see it under "computer". It shows up under Disk Management as "healthy" and shows up under Device Manager as "working normally". I have been having problems with it lately for the last month, but now it won't let me see the drive to open files. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous about this since I have been using this now for three years for all my back-up. Please, your assistance would be most appreciated. Thank you
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
    In Disc management can you assign a different drive letter to it, RIGHT click and change letter option as Drive E is normally used for an optical drive.

Try setting it as X or similar high letter to avoid any conflict..

Jun 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
    I read that if I change my drive letter it wipes out my drive. Maybe I'm confused about which drive it wipes.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Changing your drive letter is perfectly safe and does NOT erase any data..

Jun 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
    I have it. Thank you thank you thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've moved the contents of my C: drive to my external hard drive. No OS found. [ 1 Answers ]

I was having some problems with my cpu usage so a friend told me to empty out my c: drive onto an external hdd. I did and it worked. But an hour later it shut down and when I tried to start it up it said no OS found. Is there any way to get it working again? I don't have a windows 7 CD to...

External hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have a simpletech external hard drive, windows 98se, connected to a usb port. The "safely remove hardware" taskbar icon is not showing up any longer. I am afraid to switch of the hard drive.

External hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I am attempting to connect an external hard drive to one of 4 usb ports on my desktop. I have tried connecting it with my computer on and off and I have rearranged the plugs many times. Each time I plug in the external hard drive my keyboard and my...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search