Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Softcus88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Wiring my metal shed
    I am currently looking to wire a 12' X 20' metal shed detached from the house. The panel box is approximately 120' from the shed. I will have no major tools running at any one time. I plan on running wire above ground from the panel under the double wide then go underground the rest of the way. Majority of the run is above ground then plan on using direct buried romex the rest of the way. Since there won't be many tools used and possible two light fixtures, I plan on using a 15amp breaker.The plan is to have 5 outlets and then a light switch to operate on outlet after the 5 outlets. My question is is this the way to go and will I need a ground rod? And what size romex? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 05:22 AM
    The entire run can be UF cable, (direct buried NM Cable, looks like Romex). Be sure the cable is Type UF.

I suggest the minimum size, due to distance, be #10 copper.

This can be on a 20 Amp GFI breaker at the panel, and if the cable is GFI protected, the underground portion can be 12 inches deep.

For a separate structure fed by one circuit, a ground rod is not required, however, being a metal shed, it would be wise to have one for lightnining protection

The circuit feeding the structure needs to have the bare equipment grounding conductor connected to the metal frame, and if you chose to use a ground rod, connect the shed to the rod with a #6 bare copper conductor.

There does need to be one switch at the shed to act as a disconnect for the circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring shed with 10-3 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 80 feet of 10-3 underground wire and would like need a light and an outlet in my shed that is 40 feet from my 200amp box. What is the simplest way to do this? (My level of experience is that I've run wiring for my Washer, Dryer, stove, microwave and bathroom.) Code wants me to buy a...

Wiring my shed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a disconect outside that runs to a receptical think its 220 but I was going to run power to shed off that becose its accessible what amp breakers would I need would need a sub panel can I use 12-2 wire do I need a ground rod for sub panel please help

Wiring the Potting Shed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a potting shed about 60 feet from my back door. I want to wire it and then post 2 to 4 electrical outlets for outdoor use on my privacy fence near the shed. (within 50 feet on either side of the shed). Any ideas on how to do this without spending a million dollars? Thanks.

Wiring a shed [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished building a storage shed and want some electricity out there... what type of wiring and cost would it be to run 30-40 feet or wire?what other materials am I going to need? Thanks for any suggestions... later

Shed/Barn wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a decent sized shed out about 150ft from the house, I plan on running the cable underground in conduit. But I am unsure of what style/size cable I need to use for a 50A circuit 220/240V. I'm assuming that I probably need to use service entrance cable and can't use 6G stranded. I've tried...

View more questions Search