Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babychick2 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 03:41 AM
    Is it okay to keep watermelon plant directly under sun?
    I have planted seeds for watermelon and the plant is growing. The plant is not kept directly under sun because I read direct sunlight can damage it. I noticed that the plant is growing towards the sunlight instead of growing straight. Should I move it under sunlight or tie something to make it grow straight. Help please. Thank You!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 04:41 AM
    Where is it? Inside? I grow watermelon in full sun, no problem. Where did you read that sunlight can "damage" the plant?

All plants need sun and light. The amount of both varies.

Jun 1, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Where is it? Inside? I grow watermelon in full sun, no problem. Where did you read that sunlight can "damage" the plant?

All plants need sun and light. The amount of both varies.
    No it is outside but I kept it in shade so it started growing towards sunlight and that was what striked my mind. The place where I live the temperature rises till 50 degrees C in summer.. is that temperature is good or bad for plant?
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 08:37 AM
    Here's a good reference - http://www.agrocourier.com/bcsweb/cscms_de.nsf/id/Plasun_Agro/$file/plants_sunlight.pdf

Jun 3, 2012, 12:42 AM
    Here's a good reference - http://www.agrocourier.com/bcsweb/cscms_de.nsf/id/Plasun_Agro/$file/plants_sunlight.pdf
    Thank you for that and a plant keeper told me that to put foam a the base of the pot as it captures more oxygen but I didn't believe him. Was he saying the truth?
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2012, 04:18 AM
    Pot? The watermelon isn't planted directly into the ground?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2012, 05:11 AM
    Here in GA we have acres of watermelons growing in the sun.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jun 3, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Watermelons tolerate sunlight very well, in fact they need it.
    I don't know that I have ever heard of them growing in a pot.
    Better put in the ground since it is a vine and will need to stretch it's "legs"
    If the idea is to keep the melons off the soil while developing, then you could always use landscaping fabric around the plant.

Jun 3, 2012, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Watermelons tolerate sunlight very well, in fact they need it.
    I don't know that I have ever heard of them growing in a pot.
    Better put in the ground since it is a vine and will need to stretch it's "legs"
    If the idea is to keep the melons off of the soil while developing, then you could always use landscaping fabric around the plant.
    I am growing it in a pot with fertile soil for have better germination and I can handle it better like so but after 2 weeks of sprout I will shirft it in my garden in fertile soil. And the weather was amazing until a sand storm came yesterday. I have kept it inside near a window with plenty of sun. Thank you for the help by the way

Jun 3, 2012, 06:41 AM
    Pot? The watermelon isn't planted directly into the ground?
    In the beginning its better to be in the pot and later onwards it can be shifted in the ground. You can do both ways unless one know that the sprout will not damaged while placing in the ground.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2012, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babychick2 View Post
    in the beginning its better to be in the pot and later onwards it can be shifted in the ground. you can do both ways unless one know that the sprout will not damaged while placing in the ground.

Where did you read this? I'm actually a Master Gardener and I never heard this.

"Shifting in the ground" (I'm assuming you mean transplanting) can damage the delicate root structure. We're talking about watermelons here, not exotic plants.

Jun 5, 2012, 05:31 AM
    New problem is that the soil won't absorb water. Only the top of soil is wet and the soil under it is dry. Why?
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2012, 05:39 AM
    Are you soaking the pot or watering from the top? Plants in pots dry out VERY quickly, much more quickly than plants in soil.

Jun 6, 2012, 09:28 AM
    Where did you read this? I'm actually a Master Gardener and I never heard this.

"Shifting in the ground" (I'm assuming you mean transplanting) can damage the delicate root structure. We're talking about watermelons here, not exotic plants.
    I was watching videos on YouTube about the plants and everybody transplanted their plant from a pot to the ground. Ground refers to garden here which has proper soil. Its basically removing the plant from the pot with the soil and digging a hole and placing it in covering with soil of garden. If you are a master gardener then please I beg you to step by step tell me how I can plant apple,watermelon and lemon seeds. Its okay if the fruit isn't produced but I want to plant them. I would keep them outside. So please tell me the soil I need to use etc. I really want to do so. And see its good I am learning new things before I plant it. Thank you for your help
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2012, 09:30 AM
    Are you buying the seeds OR taking them from fruits and vegetables?

Jun 6, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Are you soaking the pot or watering from the top? Plants in pots dry out VERY quickly, much more quickly than plants in soil.
    This is my first time ever to plant watermelon seeds. What I did was I had peatmoss soil, I made 5 holes in the pot and placed one seed in each with distances. Then I covered it with more peatmoss soil and gently pressed it. Then I watered it but the water wouldn't get absorbed. I am watering from top. If this is also a mistake please correct it.

Jun 6, 2012, 09:33 AM
    Are you buying the seeds OR taking them from fruits and vegetables?
    I am taking out from a riped fruit itself because the here where I leave they don't sell seeds. I wanted to plant flowers like rose and jasmine but I guess I am not that lucky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to start dal mill plant tell me about process and plant and capital requir [ 2 Answers ]

Res sir I want to start dal mill plant. Tell me about plant, process and required capital. Bhuvenesh kabra, pali marwar rajasthan

How many sun spots are on sun today? [ 2 Answers ]

Today's number of sun spots?

I need to plant in direct sun under a window [ 2 Answers ]

What is a good plant to plant in the south west corner of a home under a window

Watermelon fertilizer [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know a good organic watermelon fertilizer? Jackman

View more questions Search