Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbrookeh13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Painful ovarian cysts
    I am a thirty year old female who has been having pelvic pain since September 2006 I went to two doctors before christmas one said I had an enlarged ovary and sent me for an external ultrasound which found nothing and the second doctor said the same thing I was tested for std's infections etc all came back clear (I am in a seven year relationship) the pain has continued till this last Wednesday when I went to the emergency room they did an internal exam and ultrasound and found one ruptured cyst with 8 more cysts 4 in each ovary. The doctor then told me I had a severe infection gave me 8 pills and a shot of antibiotics and sent me home. After constant diarrhea and vomiting I was again in the emergency room for dehydration when another doctor told me that I didn't have an infection at all that the brown discharge is form my cyst bursting, and that I am sick from all the unnecessary antibiotics. Well I have another doctors appointment on Tuesday (made two months ago) and my questions is this if I have continuing pain and brown discharge what questions or tests should I ask for so I am not mis diagnosed and made sicker please help scared and in pain thank you
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 09:17 AM
    This isn't a direct answer to your question, just knowledge worth maybe knowing... I'm not pushing the path my wife took on you or saying you'll have the same experiences, but its something worth knowing. That knowledge is empowerment thing, you know...

My wife had issues with painful cysts and adhesions. Curled up on the bathroom floor pain. Emergency room pain. After three doctors she was not really better. Two said her pattern of pain didn't match cysts. One suggested psychological manifestations. Ultrasounds were inconclusive.

Finally her ob agreed on an operation for the adhesions. While there they found, surprise, a cyst. Think it was hidden from the US. Surgery helped for a short time. Three months later she was in pain again and was told her options were to 1) live with pain, 2) live with pain and take vicodin, 3) remove the ovaries.

I was ready for anything to get her out of pain. She wasn't willing to live with the above options. She heard from a friend that acupuncture helped treat her adhesions and cysts. Wed already found that pressure points at her feet would help ease the pain enough so she could sleep, so she tried it.

Specifically she had three people helping her. A good massage person, a DO who has a great reputation in manipulation (he isn't a "shotgun" guy who runs through your whole body, he's really specific about what he does), and her acupuncturist. Massage helped her through acute pain that would relay into her lower back, the DO helped that also some, the acupunture was more for longer term treatment, but had some dramatic immediate results too.

The acupuncturist was clearly upset at hearing her story. Said that they have great success in this area. She started treatments and within 2 weeks the pain was about half and she was off pain meds. Over the next several months it became more and more manageble.

Exercise, especially walking and running, seems to help. My wife thinks this is an important part of her body healing and finding balance.

It has been 6 years since she started treatment. She still, on occasion, has some minor pain... usually once in the spring, but nothing like what it was. She might see her acupuncturist a few times a year, again often in the spring for some reason.

Make no mistake, it was a slow journey. While she was better to some degree almost immediately, it was really over the course of probably 2, maybe 3 years that she really seemed to heal and her body found balance.

Because her manipulation guy is a DO, he wrote a note for her condition to be paid for with flex money. Insurance won't cover, but at least flex covers the primary treatment.

My wife and I are both chemists. I've taught people who are now physicians, nurses, pharmacists. I believe in the power of western medicine and science backed by evidence, and I believe there are limits to it. Don't get me wrong, I can't listen to the eastern "chi" talk without smirking, but still... everything the acupuncturist has said he could do has happened. He has made me a believer that the treatment can help, at least, some.

I've seen first hand that medical care for women in this country can be sadly lacking. And I think you should at least know about this option. Look at the pic of my son's toes in my avatar. The only reason my son is alive today is because my wife refused to accept the standard lines from her physicians and fought to keep her ovaries.

So... use the info for what you want. May not be the path you need. Again, info is empowerment.

You'll probably get more posts about this thread. J_9 is a great medical resource here. Hopefully there will be a path to your body healing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding the removal of sebaceous cysts [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on plenty of sites in regards to my concern with the off-white tiny bumps on the underside of my head near my shaft... I have read of people who have asked for help on how to remove them... and the same answer given is "to not worry about them", "its usual for guys to have them", and...

Painful scalp bumps or cysts [ 1 Answers ]

I have painful bumps or cysts on my scalp. They tend to come and go. This only started when I was 23. I am now 25. I am a female African American. I have seen the DR, and he said it was " hydonitus"? Can anyone help me? Is it serious? What causes it?

Cysts behind Left ear [ 1 Answers ]

For the past couple of days I have had a fluid filled lump behind my Left ear. It is painful and I can't wear all my earrings. I have had people try to drain it and it won't. Should I see the doctor and have them lance it open? The pain is giving me an earache and becoming painful below my ear down...

Ovarian Cyst [ 3 Answers ]

Well I was just diagonosed with an ovarian cyst...and the doctor said that it has already ruptured...does anyone know if this could cause a problem getting pregnant?:confused: ..or if this is something I should be really worried about?:( ..One doctor told me that after it ruptured the pain should...

View more questions Search