Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eleada Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Effects of weed on a toddler
    I would like to know the effects of smoking weed daily in the same room on a toddler of 36 months old. From a concerned Nanny.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Same effect as second hand smoke (i.e. very bad for infant) with the added stigma of it being illegal.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 08:24 AM
    I am sorry but you don't sound all that concerned. If you were you would not be doing this in proximity to the child.
    fortnera87 Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Feb 26, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Why in the hell would you smoke weed in front or around an infant anyway? Like the above person said, you do not sound concerned at all or else you wouldn't be doing this!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 08:45 PM
    From a concerned nanny sounds like a cover from the parent. Pardon my suspicions.

Second hand smoke from marijuana is harmful to the respiratory system, can affect the nervous system and irritate the eyes. This is a young child here.

If you are so concerned, then call the child protective services and report the parents. That is your legal responsibility, since you the nanny. A paid child care professional.
    Eleada Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Same effect as second hand smoke (i.e. very bad for infant) with the added stigma of it being illegal.
    To all who answered my question, thank you. There are still a few of us that know there are dangers but are unsure of what they are. I needed to know exactly what they were so I could pass these on and know that they were facts not hearsay. Also she wouldn't be able to throw them back in my face.

Because I live a couple of hours away from my grandchild & daughter; a single mother who has just left a woman's refuge after six months & only see occasionally. I was shocked when she & a so called friend proceeded to smoke a joint in the same room. Obviously I told them both how wrong and bad it was for the little one to be breathing in that stuff. Also that it was their choice what they did to their minds & bodies but the little one didn't have a say, so I said it for her & I didn't mince my words. Their reaction was to ridicule me! So I needed Facts & Information to press home the dangers & the effect it has on the toddler.
    I will pass on the information that you gave me. Thank you.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Feb 28, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleada
    To all who answered my question, thank you. There are still a few of us that know there are dangers but are unsure of what they are. I needed to know exactly what they were so I could pass these on and know that they were facts not hearsay. Also she wouldn't be able to throw them back in my face.

Because I live a couple of hours away from my grandchild & daughter; a single mother who has just left a womans refuge after six months & only see occasionally. I was shocked when she & a so called friend proceeded to smoke a joint in the same room. Obviously I told them both how wrong and bad it was for the little one to be breathing in that stuff. Also that it was their choice what they did to their minds & bodies but the little one didn't have a say, so I said it for her & I didn't mince my words. Their reaction was to ridicule me! So I needed Facts & Information to press home the dangers & the effect it has on the toddler.
    I will pass on the information that you gave me. Thank you.
    I was totally right! The nanny didn't smoke!
    tayacapan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleada
    I would like to know the effects of smoking weed daily in the same room on a toddler of 36 months old. From a concerned Nanny.
    Short-term effects of marijuana

- Sleepiness
    - Difficulty keeping track of time, impaired or reduced short-term memory
    - Reduced ability to perform tasks requiring concentration and coordination, such as driving a car
    - Increased heart rate
    - Potential cardiac dangers for those with pre-existing heart disease
    - Bloodshot eyes
    - Dry mouth and throat
    - Decreased social inhibitions
    - Paranoia, hallucinations
    - Impaired or reduced short-term memory
    - Impaired or reduced comprehension
    - Altered motivation and cognition, making the acquisition of new information difficult
    - Psychological dependence
    - Impairments in learning and memory, perception, and judgment
    - Difficulty speaking, listening effectively, thinking, retaining knowledge, problem solving, and forming concepts
    - Intense anxiety or panic attacks

Long-term effects of marijuana?

- Enhanced cancer risk
    - Decrease in testosterone levels and lower sperm counts for men
    - Increase in testosterone levels for women and increased risk of infertility
    - Diminished or extinguished sexual pleasure
    - Psychological dependence requiring more of the drug to get the same effect

Also, bear in mind that these brains are still forming. Damage to the still developing cells can be very harmful!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 08:55 PM
    I knew this couple that had an 18 month old and their apartment ALWAYS had a thick cloud of smoke (mostly weed) the baby eventually started having seizures. I later heard that it can and does often cause babies to have seizures.
    NanaTina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 02:19 PM
    I found this site by doing a Google search with similar concerns for my 7 month old grandson. My son is away in the military. His girlfriend frequently asks me to watch their baby and I am always happy to. I adore him! Today however, when she dropped him off, I quickly noticed he reeked of marijuana (or at least his blanket did). She is the type of person who will deny or act defensively to any accusation so I figured I would inform myself on the facts before I confront her. I plan on telling her that it is not safe for her to do this around him, it can have detrimental affects on him and his health. I will tell her if I notice it again I will be forced to take further action. I wish I could take further action now, but at least I am giving her a warning. If reported to DCFS they might take him away and I don't know for sure if they will let me keep him since I have five small children of my own. I thank the people who answered this question informatively and not accusatory. The nanny was obviously concerned as am I.
    justwoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 11:13 AM
    I have a similar dilemma with my boyfriends sister. Both her kids were born with birth defects (one had to have surgery on her scull when she was born and the other has a hole in her heart.) I care about all of these people, including the mother. They are practically family! Addressing the issue of her marijuana use around her children is not easy. I used to work with emotionally disturbed teens; many of them practically grew up in the system- part of the reason they were so ed up- many of them were also born with developmental issues due to marijuana use (among other drug use) during pregnancy. I do not believe that taking a child from it's family is always the best response to marajuana use by the parents. There are more cases of children being physically abuse and neglected by adults under the influence of alcohol and or other substances other than marajuana. However, marajuana use has been know to cause parents to neglect their responsabilities to their children. There must be a more gentle way of approaching the subject! Any suggestions of a simply informative, non-judgmental, attitude are welcomed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Infant/Toddler websites [ 7 Answers ]

ZERO TO THREE: Zero to Three Home Page Parents Action Store babyonline.com Baby BagŪ Online -"The In-Site to Parenting" Welcome - TheBabyPlanet.com

Stained teeth on toddler [ 6 Answers ]

My son started getting brown stains on his teeth at about age 2. The pediatric dentist stated it was iron stains (my son does not take any iron suppliments) and polished most of the stains off. One to two months later the stains returned and have gotten worse. I have another appt. with the same...

Toddler-friendly recipes [ 7 Answers ]

My son is two, and while he has a very good appetite and eats everything I've ever put in front of him, I need some new recipes. How many times can I possibly make him ravioli or mac and cheese? ;) The only catch is that the recipes must be toddler friendly, but not look "kid-ish", they must...

Toddler weight gain problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. My 14 month old daughter is only 15lb. 7oz. (way below the chart! ) She was always a small baby (born with 5.1lb), and for a few months (between 8 and 11 months) she has not gained any weight at all. Now she resumed to gain weight a little bit, and she put on 4 oz. since her previous weight...

When should toddler be using spoon/fork [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wanting some advice on this subject, Currently I am still feeding my son with a spoon myself and letting him feed himself with his fingers food that can be eaten that way. My mom said I need to start letting him feed himself with a spoon, that he should be attempting it right now. ...

View more questions Search