Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PeaceMaker1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
    How do I file a Motion for Dismissal due to Lack of Jurisdiction (Custody Issue)
    Key facts:

• My ex-boyfriend and I were in a commited relationship for over 1.5 years.
    • I'm 29 years old and he is 38 years old.
    • I became pregnant last March 2012.
    • My ex was deployed in April 2012.
    • I notified him about my pregnancy before he left for Afghanistan.
    • We kept in touch via phone calls and emails.
    • I lived and worked in VA.
    • I delivered a healthy baby girl on November 21, 2011.
    • I moved out of my VA residence four days after I delivered. I moved back home to NC to spend my maternity leave (I work in VA) and decide if I was going to return to work.
    • My ex's name is not on the birth certificate because he was in Afghanistan.
    • On January 26, 2012 my ex (through his attorney) filed a petition for paternity. He told me he didn't doubt Leah was his, but that this was the process to establish his rights as her father.
    • Two weeks ago we had the paternity results hearing. The baby is his. However, his attorney tried to put in an emergency injunction which the judge dismissed because he was only doing paternity. She also was discovery of my finances which the judge dismissed. The judge told her it sounded like she'd need to file for child support. She stated she didn't want it to come to that.
    • My ex sent an email three days before the paternity results hearing stating he was working on a visitation plan with his attorney. He also mentioned that he wanted to see our daughter; that NC was too far to drive from NY (he returned to the US on January 26, 2012). He stated meeting half-way in VA would be better option because he's currently attending Pace University.
    • I asked if the visitation plan was part of another petition for the JDR District Court. He said no; that he didn't want to involved the court anymore.
    • My ex has been back from Afghanistan since 1/26/12. He requested to see our daughter 5/6/12. Before that, I would ask via email when he (and his family) were going to visit our baby. He stated that he was unable to until the "process" of establishing he legal father rights was completed. I have not denied/discouraged him nor his family from coming to see our baby in NC.
    • After seekin legal advice, I obtained an attorney in NC. Last week Friday, May 25th, my attorney filed a petition for custody. My ex's attorney had "threatened" to do the same in VA because I was keeping our baby from him.
    • My ex's attorney filed a custody petition in Prince William County on Tuesday, May 22nd, although my attorney had spoken with her on Monday about my custody petition.

Our baby has been in NC since November 25, 2012. I filed the custody petition after she was six months of age.

My questions are:
    1) Should I hire a VA attorney to get the VA petition dismissed?
    2) Or can I complete a Motion for Dismissal due to lack of jurisdiction myself?
    3) If I can, how do I write a Motion for Dismissal?
    4) If my ex comes to NC to visit our baby, can he take her back to NY with him although we have both filed for custody?
    5) How do I go about creating a visitation plan for a 6-month old baby?
    6) My family reunion is in Jamaica this July, and I wanted to get our baby a passport? Will leaving the US be an issue because of the pending custody petition?

Lastly, I had not intentions of filling for child support (which I did in NC) or custody against my ex. He was sending $500/month since October 2011. I believe (and I have email documentation as support) he took this route (court) because he's upset I didn't give our baby the middle name he sent me two week before I went into labour. However, our baby has his last name. I say this route because parentage could have been establish without going to court. I desire to co-parent with him amicably.

Thank you for your assistance.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 28, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceMaker1 View Post
    ... Our baby has been in NC since November 25, 2012. I filed the custody petition after she was six months of age. ...
    That date is about 5 months in the future. I assume you mean 2011.

Your child has been in North Carolina for at least six months (or the greater part of six months if she is younger than that)? Simply file a motion to dismiss the Virginia case supported by an affidavit clearly showing that fact, and the fact that you have filed a petition in North Carolina. Don't get it bogged down with all of the details in your post above. You will simply confuse the judge, as you did me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2012, 02:47 PM
    If his attorney filed on 5/22 and the child didn't move to NC until 11/25, then jurisdiction may rest with VA.

However, Family courts are more user friendly. I would send a letter to the VA court, with a copy of your filing in NC and proof of when you moved to NC. And just ask that the action in VA be dismissed because of lack of jurisdiction. But don't be surprised if its denied.
    JoyFull1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 02:56 PM
    AK Lawyer- Sorry for the confusion.

ScottGem- We moved to NC on 11/25/11. My ex's attorney filed on 5/22/12. Our daughter has been in NC for over 24 weeks (6 months) therefore NC is considered her home state.
    JoyFull1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 03:09 PM
    I realize I gave more info than was necessary.

Anyhow, my main concern is filing the motion. Do I need an attorney or is that something I can manage on my own? Only asking because the attorney fees are no joke. Neither are attorneys :)

May 28, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyFull1 View Post

ScottGem- We moved to NC on 11/25/11. My ex's attorney filed on 5/22/12. Our daughter has been in NC for over 24 weeks (6 months) therefore NC is considered her home state.
    Don't be too sure of that. I didn't find the specific statute, but generally months mean calendar months. It may that you wouldn't meet the residency requirements until the end of June.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyFull1 View Post

I missed the part about the ex filing in Virginia on 5/22. Thanks, ScottGem.

But it doesn't matter. North Carolina became the child's home state on or about November 30th (after 1/2 of the child's lifetime, as the child was under 6 months of age). So VA didn't have jurisdiction when the ex filed.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Don't be too sure of that. I didn't find the specific statute, but generally months mean calendar months. It may that you wouldn't meet the residency requirements until the end of June.
    That is if there is a residency duration requirement for OP (as opposed to the home state calculation for her child). Six months from November 25 would be May 25.

May 28, 2012, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    But it doesn't matter. North Carolina became the child's home state on or about November 30th (after 1/2 of the the child's lifetime, as the child was under 6 months of age). So VA didn't have jurisdiction when the ex filed.
    Good, I didn't see that exception.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 28, 2012, 05:38 PM
    What state decided the paternity ? That may be the state that will hold jurisdiction if one of the parents claims it as home state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dismissal for lack of jurisdiction [ 10 Answers ]

My husband filed for divorce after my kids and I have lived in an other state for 8 months. I understand the divorce can be done but as for the custody of the children, they are now residence of Utah. How do I file to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction?

How to file a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction in a child custody case [ 6 Answers ]

I let my 3yr old son go on vacation with his dad that he had no contact with for three years. His dad only had him for a week in VA nad he filed for custody. My son and I have been living in Fl for the past three years. I have spoken to numerous attorneys and they told me that I can file a motion...

How do I do Pro Se Motion to dismiss lack of jurisdiction? [ 19 Answers ]

2 American citizens "domiciled" full time in Germany and divorced in a German court that exercised proper jurisdiction. There was no property distribution and mediation has failed. I've offered a fair and equitable distribution,but I have also "scorned" this woman and we know how that goes. Ex has...

Can I file a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction? [ 23 Answers ]

I had a divorce in NM 2005 final decree ordered. My ex filed a motion to modify final decree regarding custody and support. My children and I have lived in California for 4 years. The child support has been transferred to the California division of child support already. Can I file a motion to...

What are the guidelines to have a case dismissed due to lack of Jurisdiction? [ 14 Answers ]

I'm involved in a custody case in Ohio. I filed my initial paperwork late July of 09. I have been in litigation now for over a year. When I filed the initial motion to gain visitation of my newborn daughter I did not have an address for my ex-girlfriend. I knew she was living with a friend...

View more questions Search