Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JWASKE Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

May 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
    a/c only blows strong when I remove the blower capacitor
    I have recently replaced my blower motor AND capacitor. The new motor specs match the old but the new capacitor is 7.5 uf and the old is 5 uf. Either way, I tried using both capacitors with the new motor and it just won't blow very strong. So I removed the capacitor completely and started the motor by hand and now it is blowing strong. Anyone got an idea of what I got to do so I don't have to keep starting it by hand?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
    That's a new one. Usually the blower will not run stronger, but weaker without the correct capacitor. Sounds like a motor issue. You need the cap not only to help the motor start, but to make the motor run correctly (thats why its called a run capacitor). Without the capacitor, even when you start it by hand, the motor will overheat and shut down overtime on internal overtemp/overload. So there is no getting around having the cap. Something sounds screwy with that motor. Im very curious about this, as Ive never seen symptoms like this in all my years. Please do let me know what you find, Im always glad to learn, and it would be very helpful in the off chance I come across this someday.
    JWASKE Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Jun 3, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Well, I better tone it down a little then if it's a motor issue. I've been running it about 4-6 hours a day for a week now. I'm going to double check my wiring, see what I come up with. I'm beginning to wonder if my original motor was okay after all, since it was running like this before I swapped motors

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower run capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

Had the AC person hear for the spring check up and one thing he said was that the blower run capacitor was weak and to replace it. I cannot find anything listed as a blower run capacitor. Can someone tell me what this is? Also he said that the condesing fan has oil on it so it is leaking and to...

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Blower capacitor problems [ 4 Answers ]

Long story short, I was changing the furnace filter and decided to vacuum up the dust inside. Later the furnace kicked on and immediately shut off. A smell like a burnt belt came out of the vent. When I went to check, the furnace light was off (code said check power) and one capacitor wire was...

Capacitor for Blower Motor [ 2 Answers ]

My A/C fan quit working and I tried to replace the capacitor first with no results. I then purchased the blower motor but it has 4 wires instead of the 3 that my old motor had. I have a black wire, yellow, and 2 browns. My old motor had black, yellow, and 1 brown. My old motor was wired into a...

Blower motor capacitor? [ 20 Answers ]

I've got a Lennox G12 series furnace and the blower seems to have stopped working. I read a few posts and saw a reply mention giving the fan a little push start while the burners kicked on. I did this and the blower started up. I can hear the "current" feeding the motor but it seems to be having...

View more questions Search