Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sriraj2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Filling Status-Tax
    Hi
    I was in US for 5 months on H1B(May 2006-Sept 2006).Now I am in India.
    I am married and my wife was in India she haven't received her passport that time.so she didn't travel with me.

But I got benefits for married person .(s4 Status).

Now I received my W2 form.I have to file my returns.Here I have issue in filing.

While filing it is asking for filing status.Which one is applicable for me (Married Filling Jointly or Married Filling seperately).

For both the status it is asking for Wife's SSN.She is not having SSN or ITIN Number.

So can you please tell me how to file.

Regards
    Srinivasan.N
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Srinivasan:

You probably did not meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2006. Unless you were in the U.S. in prior years, it is likely that you must file as a non-resident alien (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ).

If you are filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, you CANNOT claim your wife as a dependent.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Resident/ NR Tax filling status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and in US from 26 Oct 2006 to 31 Dec 2006 on L1 Visa. I am going to stay in US for the year 2007. My question - I can fill 1040NR can claim the tax right now, or can I defer my filling with 4868 for 6 months and claim after 183 days in 2007 as resident with stadard deduction,...

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

L1 tax filling for non-resident [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am new member and this is my first posting. I came to us on July 8th 2006 , so I fall in non-resident category. My company is charging state, federal , ssn and medicare tax. I am married and want to fill jointly and can we opt for any standard dedecution or not .Can some one help me...

H1b status and filling 2 dependants. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a H1b since 2004, but in 2006 a moved with a girl and she has 2 kids, she didn't work the entitle year, so I supported her kids financially the whole year in 2006, My question is, Can I file my taxes and put the kids as Dependants for 2006 with my H1b status? Thanks,

View more questions Search