Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mysticman72 Posts: 56, Reputation: 10

May 28, 2012, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Does anyone mind if I jump in here?
    This is a subject that has always interested me but one that I have not understood,
    Hence, the interest I think.
    I've read many of the paranormal posts out of curiosity and get the underlying gist (I think) that spirits or entities manifest themselves to the living if they are for some reason open to it?
    What opens them to it? Is it that they are dabbling in things that they shouldn't or are some simply predisposed by way of keeping an open mind?
    Being raised by a devoutly Christian mother and being in church A LOT, I witnessed once as a child a church member being "rid" if you will, of what the pastor referred to as a "spirit of oppression" I distinctly remember the change in this mans' face and most noticeably his eyes afterward.
    So naturally I do believe in these things, but have never experienced them personally.
    Unless you count that after the death of my beloved Pa (granddad) I awoke one night to his voice telling me "all was well" (I was 8 months pregnant when he passed)
    I chalked it up to me missing him so badly and dismissed it.
    But from some postings I'm gathering that it could have been any number of "beings" simply using my sadness as a doorway?
    I'm glad you guys are having this discussion and sorry to interrupt I'm looking forward to following this thread and maybe gain a little more understanding.
    It's a good question and there's no cookie-cutter answer that fits every person's situation. From what I have seen, it can be one or more of the following:

1. Occult involvement of the individual or their ancestors
    2. Extreme emotional or behavioral problems where the person unintentionally attracts spiritual beings
    3. Simply having an open mind to such beings (as in a child who has not lost their imagination or openness to the world around them).
    4. Spontaneous manifestations that serve a purpose for either the living or the dead in God's infinite wisdom.

As we get older, we begin to lose our beliefs in Santa, the Easter bunny, etc. Our minds begin to close as intellectual complexities infiltrate and take over our simplicity. Children who can see into the spiritual world are told that their imaginary friend isn't real, Santa isn't real, etc. and eventually they will indeed lose this ability. However, if they are guided, taught and supported, they will continue to experience these things yethave the ability to control what happens to them.

This list primarily deals with the recipient of manifestations not the initiator. That's a different scenario.

Peace
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

May 28, 2012, 09:53 AM
    Religion will affect how you view the paranormal... but not whether you experience it or not. I know of people from just about every religious and non religious background who have had spirit encounters.

May 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Ladysam - glad to have you in the discussion!

You'll find these situations in the Word of God.. it's just not preached in the mainstream. In fact, I'd say the majority of pastors still do not understand this issue as they should. There is a spirit of oppression... I have dealt with it first hand and it IS subject to the authority of Jesus Christ.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Religion will affect how you view the paranormal....but not whether you experience it or not. I know of people from just about every religious and non religious background who have had spirit encounters.
    Whereas I know of none, and my friends (real life not internet) are both religious and non-religious. Weird eh?

May 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
    Ladysam - glad to have you in the discussion!

You'll find these situations in the Word of God..it's just not preached in the mainstream. Infact, I'd say the majority of pastors still do not understand this issue as they should. There is a spirit of oppression...I have dealt with it first hand and it IS subject to the authority of Jesus Christ.
    Seminaries don't adequately prepare ministers because the schools themselves don't understand. I absolutely agree with you. Whether anyone agrees or not, the only institution that remotely understands the spirit world is the Catholic Church.

Peace...
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
    May I add a laugh?
    I was about 6 at the time and thought the pastor said "spirit of a possum" which my mother quickly corrected me on after her giggle.
    Raised as a Church of God Holiness by the way.
    I haven't been to church in years, but I do remember this particular pastor didn't center on this subject, however it was included in the sermon quite often.

But how do explain when children see or hear things?
    I know of one such story and I don't think my co-worker was pulling our leg.
    I get the idea of the child's mind being innocent and open, but what protects the child from being influenced or "approached" by evil rather than good. The parents relationship with God, God's grace?
    Mind you I'm just asking questions here, I still don't know exactly how I feel about the subject as a whole. But this has always intrigued me and I got to admit when I heard my Pa's voice my hand was on the door, but I wouldn't turn the knob.
    Mostly because of that influence from the church and my Mom not to give in to the temptation of what was unknown to me.
    I guess I'm saying that many things are possible and we may never understand them.
    But my logical mind says that life is for the living and the dead should not enter into it any further then being a memory.

May 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Whereas I know of none, and my friends (real life not internet) are both religious and non-religious. Weird eh?
    That's because statistically speaking... it is a relatively rare phenomenon.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticman72 View Post
    That's because statistically speaking... it is a relatively rare phenomenon.
    I guess not if you're in the "business" of it like haunting helper.

May 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    May I add a laugh?
    I was about 6 at the time and thought the pastor said "spirit of a possum" which my mother quickly corrected me on after her giggle.
    Raised as a Church of God Holiness by the way.
    I haven't been to church in years, but I do remember this particular pastor didn't center on this subject, however it was included in the sermon quite often.

But how do explain when children see or hear things?
    I know of one such story and I don't think my co-worker was pulling our leg.
    I get the idea of the child's mind being innocent and open, but what protects the child from being influenced or "approached" by evil rather than good. The parents relationship with God, God's grace?
    Mind you I'm just asking questions here, I still don't know exactly how I feel about the subject as a whole. But this has always intrigued me and I gotta admit when I heard my Pa's voice my hand was on the door, but I wouldn't turn the knob.
    Mostly because of that influence from the church and my Mom not to give in to the temptation of what was unknown to me.
    I guess I'm saying that many things are possible and we may never understand them.
    But my logical mind says that life is for the living and the dead should not enter into it any further then being a memory.
    Fear is the greatest enemy for children. Darkness uses the fear in our minds to oppress us. They should be taught about God and the power of the Lord Jesus. They should know that there is no spirit who is outside of God's control. If the child understands who they are as a human and who Jesus is as the ultimate warrior against darkness, they can live free of the fear which binds them.

Peace...

May 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
    I guess not if you're in the "business" of it like haunting helper.
    That doesn't even make sense. As a whole, the minority of the general population experience paranormal phenomena.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticman72 View Post
    That doesn't even make sense. As a whole, the minority of the general population experience paranormal phenomena.
    Hey I agree with you! But I am also told that's it's not that rare: Exposing the Enemy

Which I find odd because I haven't come across anyone and I'm a pretty social guy.

May 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
    Hey I agree with you! But I am also told that's it's not that rare: Exposing the Enemy

Which I find odd because I haven't come across anyone and I'm a pretty social guy.
    I think I know you :) You know that HH and I are on the same team. We both work for the same glorious Master. You do realize that this won't work, don't you? One of the greatest lies is that certain elements of the spiritual world do not exist. After all, if those things are believed to not exist, it makes it easier to subvert and infiltrate... doesn't it? :)

May 28, 2012, 01:42 PM
    I'm not in the "buisness" of anything... however, I am willing to put myself out there to help others.

I don't run with a certain crowd and by that I mean I don't hang around with anyone who is affiliated with or cares about the paranormal... of course I AM interested in the paranormal so I do ask those I know if they have ever had any experiences. The people that can give me a trustworthy account of something spiritual FAR outweigh the ones who cannot.

By posting my link I at least want to put what was said in context. Many people have an encounter and simply don't wish to talk about it... and sometimes people feel as if they are the only ones going through a haunting or demonic attack... I didn't mean that this type of situation happens to everyone all the time... buy from my experience it certainly isn't rare. I have found it to be quite easy to come across somebody who has dealt with a spiritual situation.

May 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Mystic - props on starting this post by the way!

You made the comment about the Catholic church having a deeper understanding of spiritual/demonic matters than most other denominations. How so?

A lot of times in my posts I will mention that help does not need to come specfically from the Catholic church, or any other denomination... only to give the OPs a larger pool of help. I am not anti-Catholic... just trying to free people from a set mentality.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 03:29 PM
    Well I'm just offering my response to the OP's question "Do you believe in paranormal phenomena". You're right though - I don't believe in any satan figure, I believe that I'm responsible for my own actions. Worked out quite well for me so far.

HH, we sometimes share the same goal: "just trying to free people from a set mentality". :D

Cheers.

May 28, 2012, 03:59 PM
    And I do see the flipside of that, Karma. There are many people out there that look first to the paranormal without looking at any other explanation... many times that mentality needs to be broken as well.

We are all responsible for our own actions... and those that blame everything on Satan are mistaken. Don't think Christianity is simply laying all the blame on the Devil.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
    I'm not in the "buisness" of anything....however, I am willing to put myself out there to help others.

I don't run with a certain crowd and by that I mean I don't hang around with anyone who is affiliated with or cares about the paranormal...of course I AM interested in the paranormal so I do ask those I know if they have ever had any experiences. The people that can give me a trustworthy account of something spiritual FAR outweigh the ones who cannot.

By posting my link I at least want to put what was said in context. Many people have an encounter and simply don't wish to talk about it....and sometimes people feel as if they are the only ones going through a haunting or demonic attack...I didn't mean that this type of situation happens to everyone all the time...buy from my experience it certainly isn't rare. I have found it to be quite easy to come across somebody who has dealt with a spiritual situation.
    I will say this. I have been here since the beginning of when HH started posting in paranormal and I have seen him evolve over time. You can't fit anyone in a box and he has become a regular around the paranormal threads and has many good posts.

As for my own belief in paranormal. I believe its out there. There are many things seen and unseen. But also Im the skeptic of the board in that I tend to approach claims more out of logic then just based on my own beliefs. There are too many that run out of control because they think something is going on when there is a logical explination that can be found.

It doesn't remove from the experience that person is having its just a matter of looking at it a different way to bring about another point of view.

May 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
    I appreciate that Califdad, and no paranormal forum would be legit without a good skeptic. It's certainly OK in my book to not always see eye to eye on something and that is what makes us all unique.

May 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
    Mystic - props on starting this post by the way!
    LOL, you are welcome. It's a good thing to clear the air and see what everybody thinks.
    You made the comment about the Catholic church having a deeper understanding of spiritual/demonic matters than most other denominations. How so?
    Yes, I believe they do. At least there is a ritual for possession, which I have used. And, there are many priests who have good information that I have referred to in the past. The Church is very skeptical and only declare a minute amount of people that come to them as actually possessed. Have you heard of Malachi Martin or read any of his works?
    A lot of times in my posts I will mention that help does not need to come specfically from the Catholic church, or any other denomination... only to give the OPs a larger pool of help. I am not anti-Catholic... just trying to free people from a set mentality.
    Yes, I understand. If I refer people to any group of people that can help them with the demonic, then I refer them to their nearest Catholic Church. Bishops are required to have access to at least one exorcist.

Edit: Also, the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church also have sacramentals, such as holy water, icons and relics, which is something I find helpful against darkness.

Peace...

May 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
    But what if we are not dealing with human possession... hauntings for instance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paranormal phenomena [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do from being attacked by unknown entities?

Paranormal Phenomena [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just wanted to see how I could find if people died in my house. I have some paranormal activity. Not much. If someone did die here, they were nice because we don't have any bad expierences :confused: I would like to know how many people, the history of my house and the names if someone passed...

Paranormal phenomena [ 14 Answers ]

Hi guys, I need your opinion on a problem which me and my wife are facing in the recent days... Often when I or my wife lay on the bed to sleep something happens and we cannot move our body at all... we cannot move hand, feet, head etc... we feel that we are alive and we feel that we are...

Paranormal phenomena [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 kids my 9yr old said he heard a scarching sound like a dog with fleas scarching it self the only thing we have no dog I also seen shadows in my rm my 5yr old sees ghost he saya my moms house has some but at the house we have none.

Paranormal phenomena [ 4 Answers ]

I used to see a young man about my home, he would just "be there" from time to time... well once he showed up and really surprised me so I said "will you stop doing that", and now he never comes around... how should I invite him back so I may see what he wants/needs etc? Ps I live near saltville...

View more questions Search