Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Willictoria Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
    How deep is my submersible pump?
    I have an electric pump,and I was looking into getting a hand pump for a back-up, but I need to know how deep my submersible is , and also how deep is the water level. I was thinking of dropping some kind of rope or a tape measure with a weight at the end into the well pipe, that way I can measure both at the same time. My question is: will the weight at the end of my rope hurt the existing pump in any way by landing on it, or it will just go around the pump landing on the bottom of the well? Any advice?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 27, 2012, 07:04 AM
    My question is: will the weight at the end of my rope hurt the existing pump in any way by landing on it, or it will just go around the pump landing on the bottom of the well? Any advice?
    The weight you put ion the line won't hurt your pump. Depending upon how big the well casing us will determine if it will slip past the pump to the well bottom. Good luck. Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 27, 2012, 01:14 PM
    Make sure you have the breaker off when you do that. Probably already had tought of that, but it could be trouble for your pump to turn on with the rope next to the pump.

What you really need to know is how far down is it to water. That can be tough to determine. The well casing tends to stay wet and so the rope will be wet even above where it hits water. But it's worth a try.
    Willictoria Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 06:54 PM
    You guys are quick! Thank you very much! I am going to try that one day this week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deep-well submersible pump pressure tanks/switches [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased my home 6yrs ago with low well recovery. I just replaced my submersible pump. Gained crazy pressue however my toilet keeps running now. Cannot find any pressure tank, do you have any suggestions?

Submersible deep pump [ 9 Answers ]

I just had a new pump put in yesterday I started to run the water today as I was told to do so by the guy who installed the new pump. After an hour of running the water the water stopped.. so I'm back where I started no water! Everything is on can anyone help me out?

Submersible deep well water pump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a submersible deep well pump. Old pump quit working replaced with new pump supply line and pressure switch still no water you can hear pump run

Low pressure in 170 ft deep well through submersible pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed submersible pump 170 ft deep well for my bilding to store water in the overhead Tank (40 ft) . It was working well for the last 4 years . Now it works well i.e with desired pressure if the voltage is above 250 volts and it takes 7 amp current . However, if the voltage is below 230...

Low pressure in 170 ft deep well through submersible pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed submersible pump 170 ft deep well for my bilding to store water in the overhead Tank (40 ft) . It was working well for the last 4 years . Now it works well i.e with desired pressure if the voltage is above 250 volts and it takes 7 amp current . However, if the voltage is below 230...

View more questions Search