Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minneb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 07:42 AM
    Lease termination question
    Im a first time landlord who is renting out a townhome I own. I found some tenants rather quickly but just over a week after they signed the lease they wanted to break it due to the fact they couldn't get along. There is no language in the lease as to terms to break the lease. I offered them that I would keep a months rent from the deposit and the part of first months rent they had paid me and I would let them out of it. They agreed and I had them sign an agreement to those terms. Two months later I get an email from one of them telling me that she was told what I did was illegal and if I didn't repay them that she would take me to court.

Minnesota state law states: "Procedures for ending this kind of tenancy are generally written into the lease. Tenants with a definite term lease have to pay for the entire term no matter when they leave, unless the landlord agrees to accept new tenants who would take over the remaining payments. But some term leases have provisions allowing the tenant to "break" the lease. Often in such cases, the tenant is required to pay a "breaklease" fee - a sum of money and/or the tenant's security deposit. Such fees must be reasonable in amount and reflect the actual loss the landlord can be expected to suffer in the tenant moves out early."

At the time I thought I was being nice and letting them out of the lease.

Did I do this illegaly or not?

Thanks for any help or advice.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by minneb View Post
    Im a first time landlord who is renting out a townhome I own. I found some tenants rather quickly but just over a week after they signed the lease they wanted to break it due to the fact they couldnt get along. There is no language in the lease as to terms to break the lease. I offered them that I would keep a months rent from the deposit and the part of first months rent they had paid me and I would let them out of it. They agreed and I had them sign an agreement to those terms. Two months later I get an email from one of them telling me that she was told what I did was illegal and if I didnt repay them that she would take me to court.

Minnesota state law states: "Procedures for ending this kind of tenancy are generally written into the lease. Tenants with a definite term lease have to pay for the entire term no matter when they leave, unless the landlord agrees to accept new tenants who would take over the remaining payments. But some term leases have provisions allowing the tenant to "break" the lease. Often in such cases, the tenant is required to pay a "breaklease" fee - a sum of money and/or the tenant's security deposit. Such fees must be reasonable in amount and reflect the actual loss the landlord can be expected to suffer in the tenant moves out early."

At the time I thought I was being nice and letting them out of the lease.

Did I do this illegaly or not?

Thanks for any help or advice.
    I would tell them you will be countersueing them for the full value of the lease...

As far as I can tell, you did nothing wrong... they signed a lease, they broke a lease... they got off cheap under the agreement you let them out under.

I would not send them a dime. As soon as you get notice of a suit, file a countersuit for the full value of the lease against them...

I'm willing to bet they are blowing smoke.

However others will weigh in and give their opinions as well... some of them know far more than I do on this topic.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by minneb View Post
    ... Two months later I get an email from one of them telling me that she was told what I did was illegal and if I didnt repay them that she would take me to court. ...
    Did they explain how they figured this was illegal? I agree with Smoothy. It appears they are blowing smoke.
    minneb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 08:19 AM
    Thanks for the quick answers, you guys are making me feel a lot better about the situation.

She didn't state how she thought it was illegal in the email at all, the only thing I could think someone is telling her is that its illegal to pay rent with a deposit in MN. But the money wasn't used to pay rent it was used to pay a fee to break the lease. That's all I can think of.

Thanks again for all the help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
    Yes remember there are no "terms" to break the lease unless it is written into the lease or deal with service people getting transferred.

You made them a offer and they accepted, Often a fair offer is 1/2 of the rent still due.
    So tell them to sue and that by violating the agreement, you will sue for the remainder of the rent due.
    *** you can only sue to the point that you rented the apartment out.

If you have not already done so, spend 500 or so, and go to an attorney, get ready made eviction notices. Quit or pay notice , find out where housing court is and how to file for evictions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord breaks terms of lease! Terms for early termination or lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Myself and my roommates lease an apartment from our landlord. The building we live in is brand new and we are the first tenets to live in the apartment. There are two apartments in the second story. The landlord also has an office/bar/living area in the front of the building, also on the...

Lease termination before lease expired due to job loss [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone can answer this question for me. I had a lease for 8 months in St Louis (MO) however I stayed for 4 months now due to economic condition under cost cutting my job loosed (I was contact employee) I did not got any payment to close my lease agreements and I don’t have any support to...

Termination of lease [ 1 Answers ]

I have given my tennents a 30 day notice which they ignored. I have given them a 3 day notice that I have received no response to. Hopefully they do move by the weekend, but my question is what constitutes them as being out. Removal of furniture, outside items or what. Quess what I am asking is how...

New Lease Termination? [ 3 Answers ]

I signed a lease for an apartment and due to personal reasons within 18 hours requested to be removed from the lease. The apartment complex was unwilling to do anything except the 30 day notice and 60 day buy out. I did not move in and the apartment was also not ready for me to move into due to a...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

View more questions Search