Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmieleeann Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
    Is this legal?
    My brother in-law is or was on probation. He was on his way to pick up his brother from workand got pulled over as he got there. He had an open beer can in his car that was his brothers from the night before. They said it was his and said he had been drinking. They made him take the breathalizer test but his asthma is so bad that it did not work. They then made him do the walk the line and other little test. He PASSED them all because he was SOBER. THey still sad the beer was his and put him in jail for "violating his parole." He has done so well on not drinking then he gets arrested for no reason. Is it even legal when he passed the test?!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 24, 2012, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmieleeann View Post
    He has done so well on not drinking then he gets arrested for no reason.
    Hello j:

It IS against the law to have an OPEN container of alcohol. You're not going to help him if you keep denying he did anything wrong. If you care, the best you can do for him is hire a lawyer.

excon
    Brittney11709 Posts: 4, Reputation: -2

May 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
    My brother in-law is or was on probation. He was on his way to pick up his brother from workand got pulled over as he got there. He had an open beer can in his car that was his brothers from the night before. They said it was his and said he had been drinking. They made him take the breathalizer test but his asthma is so bad that it did not work. They then made him do the walk the line and other little test. He PASSED them all because he was SOBER. THey still sad the beer was his and put him in jail for "violating his parole." He has done so well on not drinking then he gets arrested for no reason. is it even legal when he passed the test??!!!
    Yes, because cops can do whatever they want to.. lol.. it sucks..
    But he should have requested a blood test to prove that he did not have any alcohol in his system at all.. he would have got off.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney11709 View Post
    yes, because cops can do whatever they want to.. lol.. it sucks..
    but he should of requested a blood test to prove that he did not have any alcohol in his system at all.. he would of got off.
    An open container is an open container and against the law.
    I've never been on probation, but assuming that any infraction of the law is a parole violation, then he violated parole by having an open container in the car.

I got one of these tickets myself some years back, and guess what I wasn't drunk, nor was I driving. The open beer can was under the passenger seat of my friends car and I was the unlucky passenger. They checked because they smelled alcohol, sometimes those are the breaks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 24, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Just to add, a parolee on probation has to be extra careful. Your B-I-L needed to check the car before getting behind the wheel.

As noted, an open container is against the law. Rather than deny that he broke the law he needs to throw himself on the mercy of his PO. Point out that he has stayed clean, but he made a mistake by not checking the car.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 25, 2012, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney11709 View Post
    yes, because cops can do whatever they want to.. lol.. it sucks..
    but he should of requested a blood test to prove that he did not have any alcohol in his system at all.. he would of got off.

The law is no open containers. This has NOTHING to do with whether he can pass a blood test.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 07:16 AM
    My brother in-law is or was on probation. He was on his way to pick up his brother from workand got pulled over as he got there. ...
    Did they have probable cause to pull him over? If they knew he was on probation, that may suffice, but if the didn't know, I'd be interested and seeing what the probable cause was.

May 25, 2012, 08:45 AM
    They said they pulled him over under suspicion of drinking... he was at his cousins house and the cop kept circling the block, and his cousin carlos was drinking like usual. Then we he left to pick up his brother the cop followed him then pulled him over. Yesterday he had court and he is locked up but the judge said he was a failure to appear so now he has to deal with that even though the dumbasses have him in a jail cell... these cops and judges are just a big joke
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 09:29 AM
    So his attorney did not appear in court and tell the judge he had court ?

So someone did not take to the sheriff office the court papers showing he had court?

What was this court for ? Not for the traffic stop and open container ?

But a open container does not requie one drink out of it, and while where it is in the vechile differs by state, in all, if it is within his reach, then he is guilty of having a open container in the car.

As for the not appearing in court, he merely proves he was in jail,

May 25, 2012, 09:29 AM
    .these cops and judges are just a big joke
    You never said what he was on probation for, but this is the price one pays for breaking the law.

May 25, 2012, 10:07 PM
    He was on probabtion for a dui... and he Didn't break the law after being put on probation. He realized it was a waste of his time.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 04:24 AM
    What was a waste of his time? Probation? Breaking probation?

You're missing the point and the law - he DID break probation if there was an open container in his vehicle.

May 26, 2012, 04:25 AM
    he was on probabtion for a dui....and he DIDNT break the law after being put on probation. he realized it was a waste of his time.
    You are still in denial. He drove a car with an open container of alcohol. The law says he cannot do that. So he DID break the law.

May 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
    An open EMPTY container that he Didn't even know was in the back cup holder. Dude I didn't get on here for some person that doesn't even know anything about the story to tell me I am in denial it is not denial it that our government is full of . It is a bunch of bull for them to lock him up for that. But thank you so much for all of your kind opinions you are a sweetie.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
    He had an open beer can in his car that was his brothers from the night before.
    Hello j:

I ain't buying it. Nobody describes empty's as an "open beer can". But, it doesn't matter what you and I think. It only matters what the cops and the judge thinks.

excon

May 26, 2012, 10:15 AM
    an open EMPTY container that he DIDNT even know was in the back cup holder. Dude I didnt get on here for some person that doesnt even know anything about the story to tell me I am in denial it is not denial it that our government is full of . It is a bunch of bull for them to lock him up for that. But thank you so much for all of your kind opinions you are a sweetie.
    If the can was empty, then that's his defense in court. But the arresting officer is going to say otherwise. Whether the law is fair is a different discussion. The fact is he was driving with an open can of beer in the car. That is against the law.

And I do know something about the story. I know what you have told us. That is all I can base my advice on.
    Expert

May 26, 2012, 10:19 AM
    Let me explain for what good it will do, first I am State trained in Field Sobriety and DUI detection. That includes all the laws and rules it takes for conviction in our state ( Georgia)
    Each state will have its own open container laws.

First in our state, the container has to be within reach of the driver, it has to have its seal broken. And it can be empty, empty would show that they already drank it. They do not have to even be tested for DUI, the open container if there is one, is often the charge used if there are issues with the DUI charges. Also "empty" seldom are they completely empty, normally there is some residue in the bottom, cars are hard to totally empty.

But guess what even if they take the can into evidence, the liquid in it is poured out so at court, the issue of how much the can had in it is seldom bought up.

So being on probation, he should have thrown them away, thrown them in the floor of the back seat or something before driving the car.

When I wanted to show a new officer how to make an arrest for this, it was easy, we parked down the street from a local gas station, watched them coming out with a single or even a six pack and would watch them open it as they pumped gas and started to drive away.
    Like shooting fish in a barrel.

In Georgia it did not even make a difference if the passenger was the one with the beer, as long as the beer was within reach of the driver. And where is all of the bottle holders, in the middle.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
    an open EMPTY container that he DIDNT even know was in the back cup holder. Dude I didnt get on here for some person that doesnt even know anything about the story to tell me I am in denial it is not denial it that our government is full of . It is a bunch of bull for them to lock him up for that. But thank you so much for all of your kind opinions you are a sweetie.

Sweetie, originally you couldn't figure out why he was arrested when he passed the test. Now you can't figure out whey he was arrested when he could explain the empty can/bottle.

I don't think you are focusing.

Here's one for you - in NY if you have too much to drink and fall asleep in the BACK SEAT of your car in the bar parking lot and the keys are on your person you can will be arrested. You don't have to be driving OR behind the wheel.

Have to wonder why everyone else is able to drive without being pulled over and he can't.
    Expert

May 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
    Yes, In Georgia, you have to actually be behind the wheel with the keys in our possession, but do not have to have the car running and of course they car does not have to be moving. Also in Georgia DUI is one of the few charges for driving that can be done on private property.

In some states, as noted you just have to be drunk and with the keys and near the car, even opening the car door.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
    Hello again,

Not to pile on... But, whether he was guilty of an alcohol offense or not, makes no difference to his PO. I'm sure he's not allowed to even be around EMPTY beer cans.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

Nys parole PO denies any contact w/ legal wife - criminal hist. Is this legal [ 1 Answers ]

Parole denies any contact, phone, letters, visits, etc. w/ my legal wife because she is a convicted felon and one rule while on parole is to have no contact w/ known felons

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

View more questions Search