Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SkyB123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 08:49 PM
    I need help with a word problem
    A cereal manufacturer ships a crate of 14 small boxes and 15 big boxes weighing a total of 303 ounces. It then ships a smaller crate with 8 small boxes and 10 big boxes weighing a total of 191 ounces. The weights of the crates can be modeled by this system of equations.

14s + 15b = 303
    8s + 10b = 191

What is the weight of the big cereal box, in ounces?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
    You have been given two equations in two unknowns. Note that if you multiply the second equation by 3/2 you could then subtract it from the first equation and end up with a single equation that has unknown 's' only, so you can solve for 's.' Then use that value in either of the original equations and you can solve for 'b.'

Post back with what you get for an answer and we'll check it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word problem [ 2 Answers ]

The median salary of a nursing major with 10 to 20 years experience is $3 thousand less than twice that of an education major with less than 5 years experience. Combined, two people with each of these majors and specified years of experience earn 02 thousand. Find the median salary of a nursing...

Word problem [ 1 Answers ]

At one time, the Texas Junior college Teachers asscosiation annual conference was held in Austin. At that time a taxi ride in austin was $1.25 for the first 1/5 of a mile and $.025 for each additional mile. If the distance from one of the convention hotel to the airport is 7.5 miles how much...

Word problem [ 2 Answers ]

HELP!! I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 LAPTOP In MICROSOFT WORD I am suddenly getting wrong letters when I type Each keystroke produced the symbol in blue on the key (ie the FUNCTION key held character) when it is not held and these are repeated consistently. I think it is possible to...

Word problem [ 12 Answers ]

Two trains are headed right for each other they are 180 miles apart. Train A is going 50mph, train B is going 40 mph train A starts at point A. when will they collide and where will they collide in reference to point A? I don't even know where to start on this problem, it just is confusing me......

Word Problem [ 2 Answers ]

One printing shop charges $5 plus $.02 perpage and a second shop charges $7 plus $.015 per page. If ___ pages are printed, the total cost is less for the first printing shop. a. less than 1500 b. less than 2100 c. less than 400 d. less than 900 I got c for my answer. Just checking to see...

View more questions Search