Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cderrick68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
    Giving up your rights
    Do you have to pay child support after you give up your rights?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cderrick68 View Post
    Do you have to pay child support after you give up your rights?
    Exactly HOW do you think you managed to "give up your rights" anyway?

I really want to hear this one...

Because it actually takes a Court to do it... you don't get a form off the back of a cereal box.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
    1. Except to allow a step parent adoption, you can not "give up your rights" if it was that easy, there would not be 1000's of non custody parents in jail tonight for non payment of child support.

So unless there is a step parent adoption you can not just sign away your rights.

In step parent adoptions, current support ends, but past support not paid is still owed.

If for some reason you can get your rights taken away, long term prison sentence, child molestation charges and other issues, you can still be liable for support normally.

So lets pretend you could sign them over, just to get out of the responsibility to help care for a child, you would still owe support. So if you want to give up your rights, just don't enforce them. Don't call, don't go visit, don't have a say about school, doctors, just write that check each month

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up rights [ 1 Answers ]

What is the law on giving up your right as a non custodial parent and does the custodial parent have to make the steps in getting it started with the child support agency.

He's giving up his rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are getting a divorce and he's wanting to give up his rights to our 2 yo son. The only problem is that he was the sole (spell check) provider for our family. He kicked me and our son out on Christmas and I've been living with family since, I was depending on him for child support...

Giving up my rights [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4yr old daughter that I have never seen. I live on the other side of the states from her. I pay child support faithfully, but yet I am never able to see her every time I get back home. There is always a reason why. Well I found out that her mother is getting married, and there was talk...

Giving up rights [ 7 Answers ]

I have been paying child support for 3 years for my son. The judge ordered that I had visitation rights every other weekend. She won't let me see him every other weekend and she will only let me see him when she is willing been to court a lot of times and still nothing. So I have came up with...

Giving up his rights? [ 12 Answers ]

If my ex husband wants to give up his rights to my daughter does someone have to be there to take over his rights or not?? He has not been in her life at all and she is only 18 months old. He wants to give up his rights but not to my soon to be husband unless he has to, so I am trying to find out...

View more questions Search