Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KawloDJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 05:28 AM
    My girlfriend broke up with me (Long distance relationship)
    Hey guys,

My name is Reuben and I am 18 years old.
    This is the first time I've ever made a forum post and I'm doing this because I am just lost.

My girlfriend broke up with me last Friday and it's been really hard for me to deal with it and not think of her. She was my very first love and we always had an amazing time together. I would go over to her about once every month, she lives in Sweden and I live in Ireland. We would have our ups and downs like every other couple but, with me having ADHD, sometimes we would have more downs than ups.
    She broke up with me because she wanted to not have the responsibility of being in a relationship and just wanted to be alone. It's understandable because I have been really needy towards her. As she was the first person I've ever been in a long term relationship with I always wanted to make her my priority and I did. I would regularly send gifts to her that she didn't expect, write poems for her or tell her how great she is. I thought I was doing everything right but, I was doing everything too much. I always put her first and based my life around her, which now, after the breakup, I realise that she was telling me all along not to do this.
    I told her many of times that I would change and try to become the guy that she fell in love with again but, I didn't do it fast enough.

Also, I already had booked my tickets to visit her in the summer, just over 2 weeks from now. What I want to ask is, would it be a good idea to not contact her for 3 weeks, let her have space and be alone so she knows I am trying my best, and then visit her in the summer, and try again?

Thanks for reading and I hope I can get some answers, I would appreciate it a lot!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 06:42 AM
    I think you really should be solving your own issues, before promising any one anything. LDR's are very difficult without all your insecurities too, and you need more than 3 weeks to make a change and be able to share happiness, instead of neediness, in the really short time you visit.

You better give this a lot more thought and effort into solving your personal issues, because no one believes another will change until they see some conclusive proof. 3 weeks doesn't allow her to be objective on this change thing you claim to do, because most times it takes years of hard work, and guidance to be successful. Bet she knows that and will be suspicious of doing this just to get her back.

She would be right since it took her dumping you to see that you should be improving yourself. Do the work first, because quick fix cosmetic changes never are believed. Will she be waiting with high hopes and open arms? I seriously doubt it. And who wants to go back to a once a month deal any way? I doubt she wants that either.

Sorry guy, better yourself for YOU, not to get her back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2012, 06:52 AM
    I agree, try to get your money back on the tickets or trade them for a vacation some where else.

Obviously you either changed or she did not like some things you did. Also buying gifts is not the same as giving them attention. My real guess was she was tired of a long distance relationship and wanted something more.

At 18 people want and really need more, they need someone to be with every Saturday night, or someone who can be there for their other events at school or work.

You need to really forget her for now, the "I need time" means almost always it is over, and she was trying to be nice in the break up.
    triplemaxine Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

May 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Cancel your tickets!

Both of you just need to take time, and if you still like her after however long it's been then try talking to her and telling her how you feel. Just be prepared for anything. Right now try and go out A lot. It will help get your mind of things :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend, Cancer, College, Long-distance relationship, Advice? [ 10 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 5 months now has been having a hard time dealing with her mother being diagnosed with a brain tumor, which was very cancerous. And I have left for college. We love each other and we both want this relationship to work. I talk to her 24/7 since I left. She has become very frustrated...

Long distance relationship [ 2 Answers ]

We are in a long distance relationship now, yesterday my girlfriend texted one of my close friends and ask him if they were having "an after party" and that she wanted to hang out with them. He replied by saying yes! So she went out drinking with my friends and the guy she texted told me that she...

Girlfriend of 1 year (Long Distance Relationship) Bails on Visit [ 8 Answers ]

I will try to sum this up as short and quickly as possible. My girlfriend and I have been going out for 1 year. We are in a long distance relationship. I live in Boston and she lives in San Francisco. We are both 17. She went to my school last year and we dated for 3 months before she moved. There...

My long distance girlfriend broke up, and I can't move on. [ 3 Answers ]

This is going to be a little long but anyway I have had a long distance girlfriend for two years now it's embarrassing but I don't care. Within the years I think she has cheated on me I actually have proof but to be honest at that time we were pretty much broke up after a heated argument. Anyway...

Ex girlfriend causing severe depression.( Long distance relationship) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I know many of you will read this and think its ridiculous for me to feel this way... but here goes. So in April of 2007 I went on a cruise, I was 17 years old. A few days into the cruise I met this beautiful girl at the front of the ship. She was out there alone. I walked by and I just kept...

View more questions Search