Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

May 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
    Why does 'weaverbird' weave such a beautiful nest?
    I have 3 questions -
    1. Why does weaver-bird (baya) construct such a beautiful nest?
    2. How can chameleons change colour?
    3. Why does dog keep its tongue out while running?
    4. There was a Bollywood movie, made in the beginning of movies starting making or becoming, which has a lady (heroine) whose head was uncovered and due to it, the film was awarded 'A' certificate (for adults only) by Censor board. What was the film? Can some person help? (Bollywood is Indian film industry.)

I have following points to make about all these questions -

1. My friend told me that the male baya-weaver-birds 'construct' beautiful and impressive nests to tempt the females. The females select the nests and hence the males get to mate with them. There are certain birds, whose nests fail to attract even one female, while others' sometimes 3 or even 4 nests (obviously of the very diligent and sharp) get selected and they mate with different females in shifts. Is there any truth in what he said? I searched net but could not find much help - for reference Baya Weaver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. About chameleon, I know that it changes colour to protect itself, by suppressing or loosening her body and hence the pigment emission. What is the truth?

3. Dogs are an enigma. Please describe this also.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 10, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Weaverbirds build nests of a size and style which best protects the next (and the babies) from predators - http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academi...eshproject.pdf

Chameleons change color to blend into their surroundings and keep them safe from predators. This is pretty common knowledge in the US, and I am not going to quote a specific source.

Dogs don’t sweat like humans and pant to cool off. It can be a sign of illness or simply because they are warm. Again, I’m not quoting a source.

You say you have 3 questions but posted 4. Movie questions are probably best posted in the movie section of AMHD - Movies - Ask Me Help Desk
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

May 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
    Judy Kay Tee,

I am thankful to you for the help, but I would like to tell you that even as the answer to first query helped, the others leave me unanswered. Like about the chameleons changing colours, I have clarified that I know, as it is common knowledge in your US, as you said, that these creatures alter colours to protect themselves, but how does it happen, I mean what helps them to do so... pigments, biochemicals or harmones, what? And, about dogs, my question is there is some difference between the way the dogs sweat and the other animals do so... plz clarify what and how. Thanks again for the replies. (I have not forgotten to give you a greenie)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Sorry I wasn't precise enough.

The Answer:

Chameleons have transparent skin. There are several layers of cells underneath that skin. These cells change colors - some of the cells reflect light. Other cells contain color pigments. Light, temperature and emotion cause the chameleon to change color.

Re-read what I posted. Dogs sweat VERY LIGHTLY through their foot pads. I've had Vets tell me that that is not "true" sweating. They pant to release heat.

Any of these questions are easily researched if you need more info or don't understand what I've posted. Respond with that info, and I'll give you the sites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I beautiful? What is actually considered beautiful? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, my name's Julia. I know what you might be thinking:"Not another one of those self-conscious girls who wants to be told how pretty they are!"... But I'm not like that. . I just want to know... What is considered beautiful, besides that great personality? Is it really about high cheekbones?...

When to put the nest in for budgies? [ 1 Answers ]

When do I put the nesting box up for my parakeet to start breeding? Have had the females 1 year and just got the males.Jst put the males in the cage with the females today

How does the bird know its own nest [ 2 Answers ]

How does the bird know its own nest

View more questions Search