Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karen516 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 07:50 PM
    Is defamatory gossip in the workplace a hipaa violation
    A neighbor is angry with me. She has gossiped about me everywhere. My neighborhood, my children's schools, Facebook (I think) several etc etc. The gossip is really really slanderous. That my family lives in squallor, that no one comes over to our house because of the conditions, that we always go other places (I have a sp needs child and we have no family, that is hard enough but playdates are usually arranged with friends that live outside of our neighborhood! ).
    I have a sp needs child and I am busy. I work and my children are busy. My husband had been unemployed and he is working two jobs. We just don't have time for the "regular" stuff like Facebook, whatever. The gossip has infiltrated nearly every area of our life and everyone thinks its true. The friends that we had are gone, I have been followed around my work by coworkers watching what time I come in, collecting information, probably to let me go. I work in a medical clinic where HIPAA applies. The information is all over the clinic that I work and had originated outside of the clinic, very few colleagues are open to even talking to me. No one tells me the information directly. I found out because of how people are behaving. Several people have come over to my house that are really not even friends (to check out our house). I have a Master's degree and have been working for 15 years in the same field. I am really good at my job. The slanderous information is also in my son's treatment facility (also HIPAA applies). The treatment team of my son are telling other parents to stay away from our family. I was talking to one Mom while our kids were in their session and the treatment lead went to her right away once I walked away. (of course I didn't hear what she was saying). One Mom of a child there, even came over to our house (to see if I live in a garbage house). Can I report these two facilities to my State for HIPAA violations? What about the two schools that my children were in where the teachers were involved in the gossip? Can I report them? This is information gathered from hearsay yet everyone is treating it like its been a validated child protection report. No one has ever called child protection regarding my family. My children are both above grade level in their academics (even the special needs child). My home isn't perfect, but it isn't a garbage house by any means. As a result of this, my husband is having to look for work out of state, we will probably have to forclose on our house and I will probably never work again. Since the only thing I know about this gossip is a person calling me and asking me questions that told me a lot of information but quickly shut down when I asked her questions. I have no "witnesses" other than seeing these professionals, teachers, social workers talking and clearly talking about our family. I do have a couple of friends who are willing to acknowlege that there IS gossip. I live in Mn. Any suggestions? Signed, persecuted4thefunofit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2012, 10:11 PM
    I wish you would summarize your post, I tried reading it

1. someone is doing gossip about you,
    2. they are also doing it at work,

I did not see where it was specific medical information, talking about your house keeping and talking about your ability as a parent is not HIPAA, if someone at the medical clinic, where the child is treated, gives out his medical info, than that is a vioaltion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa or privacy in the workplace violation? [ 11 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with a condition, and in the process of getting "work" to approve my time off, some fellow managers had lets others know of my condition, by sharing what and why I was out! This had been expressly stated that I did NOT want anyone to know! So needless to say, it is out all over the...

Hipaa violation in the workplace [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a HIPPA violation for a manager to send out a company wide email saying " Said employee is out of the office - his wife is in the hospital. Please advise...

Possible HIPAA violation in the workplace [ 2 Answers ]

I work at a hospital. I had some physical therapy at the hospital in which I work, and the therapist did a poor job, exacerbating a different physical problem I had, causing me a great deal of pain despite my warnings about the situation. I got upset and said some negative things to the...

HIPAA in the workplace [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I read through all the archives but I still have a specific question that I need answered. I work for a medical billing department. We are in cubicals and the woman next to me has had a serious condition in the past that she has openly discussed with other people. She has recently had a...

Gossip in workplace [ 2 Answers ]

What can be done, what rights do I have against employees making untrue accusations at my workplace?

View more questions Search